Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions Please Still Chasing The 1959 D Small Date Lincoln, It Cold Be?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  11:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jerrid fox to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi me again sorry for beating a dead horse. I have inquired with the auction house that let a reputable Coin Dealer list a 50 coin Bank Roll from the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. I have more time now to investigate this to either hold the dealer up for Misrepresentation... History... I bid on and won a full roll of Lincoln pennies under the listing Titled " 1959-D Small Date Pennies Federal Reserve Of Chicago Original Bank Wrapped Roll UNCIRCULATED!! " All 50 Coins did in fact turn out to be Shiny uncirculated 1959 D Lincoln Pennies. I have read thru the Red Book and learned of the infamous 1959 D Mule Pennie that like the titled auction listing I won should not exist. I also learned that the Denver Mint was known for switching Dies during the minting process That like the Mule penny Could have caused numerous dsate variations as the newer Die would be sharper and less worn possibly resulting in a date variation. So with thos factors abound lets do some digging if you would bear with me. I had more time to get it under magnification and used the only method I can think of with what I have to Measure the "9's" better and I did find an quantitative difference. With this coin having two "9's" It is helpfuL to get a look at the difference. So bear with me kindly and thank you for reading and as we all do investigate Coins based on conDiTION, variation and possibly errors such as the double dieing. If anything I only being 41 years young and havinga moderate level of coin knowledge with an extremely high level of investtigative intuitness, Maybe I will provide some unknown knowledge.. Ifound an article of a man who in his 3 bank rolls of 1969 S Lincolns found a rare double dieing. At the time in 1970 c ounterfiters had tried to sell the same instance of that error just by coincidence. The finder contacted PCGS who was skepticle and latter learne dthis guy was knowledgeable on the subject so the coin was sent in the PCGS Die Variety expert believed that the guy he was talking to may actually have stumbled onto what is estimated to be only 40-60 coins and it was described as mint state by the owner, which coming from a new bank roll made sense. so I will quit story telling and leave you with this quote before I upload my magnified imaages and used a piece of paper as a straight edge to measure the lengths of the 9's which unless I am seeing things there is a difference. final thought from the spruce crafts..."What Tremonti's find makes clear to all of us is that there are still lots of very valuable error and variety coins waiting to be found. Whether you are checking your pocket change or searching through rolls of original bank wrapped coins, there are still errors to be found. As it has been frequently said, "Are you sure you didn't spend a $30,000 penny for your lunch yesterday?" o.k. One last important variable OI am using. fortunately I have a 2 NGC graded 1955 S and D Lincoln coins graded MS 66, which I used to see the variations in the 9's. Thanks in advance...if all this turns out for not than I have 50 Beautiful shiny Uncirculated 1959 D coins. Also keep in mind the next year was the 1960 D small date Lincoln...

Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jerrid, welcome to the forum. I am going to do my best to follow you here. You're saying you feel you may have a heretofore unknown small date 1959-D variety, correct? This is based on measuring the width of the 9s as compared to your 1955 and 1956 NGC graded coins, correct? Or have I already made a misstep? If I have, I should mention that you need to be comparing the design for the same year. There are sometimes minor variances in design from year to year, so that would not make this a small date just because it's smaller than a 55 or 56. Furthermore, variance in size of devices within the same year can sometimes be because of either a doubled die or die polishing, which would result in larger or smaller devices than normal respectively. Overpolishing would need to be ruled out in this case after you compare your maybe-small-dates to a control coin.
everything else
Valued Member
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you absolutely can not compare different years. Also remember, as dies wear the numbers, letters, devices can change slightly. Even from coin to coin from the same die there could be slight variation due to striking pressure or die state.
Pillar of the Community
United States
535 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the seller just had a mishap in the title. I could buy a roll of pennies that says "genuine 1943 copper cents!" but I wouldn't go running to quit my day job.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20334 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paragraphs are your friend.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42314 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2020  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also since you've last posted, the idea came to me about the polishing of the dies, that reduce the size of the date or other areas of the devices. This polishing removes the fields, thus shortening the devices. here area a few examples:

These dies were altered by over polishing. So there were only one size on the 1968 and the 1962 dies. The over polishing affected them, reducing the fields. Same on your coin. There were only one size on the 1959 cents. All these dies when they were new, were totally normal. The polishing of them to remove die clashes, shortened the height of the devices.

That is what your are seeing. Not a small or large date issue. Only on the years denoted by the mint/books have these large and small dates. 1974 is one year that not all know about as having large and small dates. But that is what you are seeing on your coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05