Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Bad PCGS Experience

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,573Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2305 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  4:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently did a modern bulk submission to PCGS.
They graded the coins very hard like they were mad at me.

But I was still satisfied with the grading results. However, once I received my invoice, I was like this:

The PCGS paper invoice inside the package was saying the coins were only $5 each for the grading fee.

A few days later the email invoice came and it still said only $5 each per coin.

However, today I got an email from PCGS saying it was a mistake and they want me to pay them $458.50 more.

I am very disappointed in PCGS that they don't know what they're doing.....
Edited by solotime
01/17/2020 4:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9417 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post a copy of the invoice. $458.50 more for what service?
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
2305 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They want the $458.50 to reimburse them for charging me the wrong fee amount.

I just don't understand how no one manages to catch the mistake before the coins shipped. (IF this was really a mistake)

Both of my invoices even say only $5....

Pillar of the Community
United States
2305 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three months went by since I posted this. Never heard back from PCGS when I sent them copies of my invoices.
However, my PCGS account got banned today saying I didn't pay them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14055 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The PCGS paper invoice inside the package was saying the coins were only $5 each for the grading fee.

A few days later the email invoice came and it still said only $5 each per coin.

So what don't you understand . You submitted 133 coin @ $5 each .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2305 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2020  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-BOP, PCGS gave me two invoices saying that the bulk submission was $5 per coin. When the coins came back, the paper invoice say it was $5 per coin.
Then one month later the emailed invoice came and said that I paid them in full for the total of $724.50 ($5 per coin)

Two weeks went by. (January 14th) I received an email from PCGS asking me to pay them an additional $458.50. I emailed them my two invoices and they never replied back or sent anything in the mail. So now three months later, my PCGS account doesn't work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2020  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time to start using NGC.
I like them better anyway.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9417 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Two weeks went by. (January 14th) I received an email from PCGS asking me to pay them an additional $458.50.

Surely they itemized the additional $458.50? What were the additional charges for?
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
2022 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What price did you expect to pay per coin? It seems you were pleasantly surprised to see you were only charged $5.00 per coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2305 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2020  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It wasn't itemized like my other two invoices were.

The PCGS email said there is an additional grading charge of $458.50.

Here's a black and white scan of the first invoice I received inside the package with the coins

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3445 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is the Eligibility for the Bulk Program?
Submission must contain a minimum of one hundred (100) coins.
Submission may contain a maximum of five (5) different dates, mint marks, or denominations (also referred to as PCGS coin or spec numbers).
Coins must be submitted in sealed tubes, rolls, or original government packaging*
Bulk Submissions containing coins in flips will not be accepted.

I suspect a post-audit found you submitted more than 5 coin#s and so they charged you regular economy for the extras. Since you didn't abide by the program rules and didn't pay the charges why are you surprised they closed your account?
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
9417 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2020  08:08 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suspect a post-audit found you submitted more than 5 coin#s and so they charged you regular economy for the extras.

BStrauss3 nailed it. The mix of dates, mintmarks and denominations exceeded what a $5 bulk grading fee/coin allowed for and PCGS did not catch it until after the original invoice & return shipping.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3178 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2020  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How so? I only count five spec numbers: 4106, 4158, 9573, 9579, 9580. The extra lines are different grades.

I guess it's possible that some other obscure rule was broken. But if they count the different grades towards the maximum of 5, that's cheating.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm confused too. I see only 5 "different dates, mintmarks, or denominations": 81P 5c, 05P 5c, 79S $, 81S $, and 81D $. Could someone more familiar with the submission rules explain, please?
Learn More...
United States
28359 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2020  10:46 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you called them to discuss it? They are the ones who know why they want additional money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6590 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am very disappointed in PCGS that they don't know what they're doing.....

Any and all companies, can and do, make a mistakes like this.

However, a business penalizing a customer when the company makes a mistake is getting pretty low. Give them a second chance with a phone call. If they don;t make things right, then nicely let them know they are losing your business for bad business practices.

I had this happen to me with a printing company. Rather than penalize me, they apologized for the error, agreed they were totally at fault, and asked me if I would be willing to contribute a little more to the price being charged so they did not have to take such a loss. I knew this was not a "bait and switch" b/c their cost was so very low compared to all the other publishers I contacted.

THAT is an honorable business practice.

Anyone reading posts on this forum about slabbing will know I see these companies as shysters anyway. But giving them a chance to make things right is also just good practice.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Edited by Earle42
04/15/2020 11:45 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,573Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05