Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Innovation Dollar Reverse Proof Storage Options

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 850Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  7:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add scstrawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I know they are not everyone's cup of tea, but I was hoping to find if anyone has found a decent storage option for the Reverse Proof sets from the mint. I'm thinking of something like:

https://www.amosadvantage.com/produ...-storage-box

but it's not tall enough. I'd rather not keep them in a shoebox any longer than I have to.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2834 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they sell a very similar box at dollar stores, heavy cardboard, I believe meant for photo storage.., but check the dimensions, I believe it is very close..
Learn More...
United States
86236 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My OGP items are in a two different nice and heavy boxes. Everything fits okay for now, but I will run out room soon. I have no idea where to get something to match (I will have to ask the person who gave them to me).

The dollar store looks like a good place to start.
Pillar of the Community
United States
723 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with you there as these are an odd size and I intend on keeping them as issued. For now, I was fortunate enough to get a box from work measuring 12 long, 6 wide and 6 high. Almost perfect. Long term is another issue as I'm still in the design stage of a solid maple coin cabinet to house coins. Picture a chest of drawers three foot wide, two foot deep and six foot high, each drawer being four inches in height with holes bored the diameter of each Air-tite holder. I have yet to find a solution incorporating these and the many proof sets into the design. Maybe a second, smaller cabinet to match? I only threw this out there to give you an idea if you have the skill set.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ed14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would it be a mistake to transfer reverse proof innovation dollars to snap tite 2x2's for easier storage?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on if you want to be able to look at the OGP or preserve it. IIRC in order to remove the capsules from the OGP you have to damage the OGP. If you don't care about that I don't see anything wrong with it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
982 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Home Depot has an Iris 3 gallon storage bin that would work, but there's other things you could use also.

Each of the packaging is
5"x5.5" maybe 1/4" thick. To store so you can read the edge, it's the 5" height x 5.5" width. Then whatever the length will dictate how many sets you can put in the box.

If you wanted to do double rows you'd need 5"H x 11"W and a little extra if you want to put a divider in there.

Also want to consider that all the cotainers are different and the box height might be 5" bUT not the interior space with the lid on so you'd want to account for that too.

I have mine laying flat in a cardboard box in stacks. I'm sure at some point someone will make a box specifically for these sets, maybe even the mint once they get to enough sets that a box to house them makes sense.

If you lay them flat I'd say you need a 5-6" width box by at least 11"Length, not ideal but it will get you by for now to hold 20 of the coins with packaging at least depending on the height of it in two stacks. I believe someone will come up with a storage box for that once they put out enough of them to have it make sense to have the inventory.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
03/28/2020 4:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting. Do you want to favor cheap, durable, pretty?

I have to observe that a cd case is 5.5x5x0.4 inches. Anyone tried an old cd carrying case?
Edited by jonnin
03/29/2020 12:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1002 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amos Advantage... now that's a name I haven't heard in years.

Looking at their site, I notice it says "COVID-19 and how it Effects you" - should be "affects"
Currently interested in buying 1957 and earlier Russian and Soviet coins. Let me know if you have any and we can hook up a deal!
Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ever consider a shoe box?
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdmerrittpe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Really Useful Box, 6.5 l size, internal dimensions of 15 1/4" D x 5 5/8" x 5 1/2" should work based on the dimensions given in the post. Office Depot carries them. Their item is 452306. The box was designed for CD Case Storage.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16522 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sure at some point someone will make a box specifically for these sets, maybe even the mint once they get to enough sets that a box to house them makes sense.

The Mint did that for the silver proof sets back in 1999, sold a nice if somewhat expensive box that would hold the entire 10 years of the State Quarter series. Then 3/4 of the way through the series they changed the size of the set and added an 11th year. Now the expensive boxes would no longer work.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
86236 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 850Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05