Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Considered Full Bands On A Mercury Dime?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 723Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
75 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  05:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add James Lackeys Coins505 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It looks like full bands to me but I'mánot sure, any opinions?

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17308 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bands are only barely split.
For Fully Split Bands, theu have to have their tops rounded like an old fashioned loaf of bread, as well as being very obviously split.

That is why FSB's are so scarce.

It is possible to have an MS++ Mercury, without obviously split bands.

Basically, you have to have a sharp strike, to go the high grade.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coin pictured is very nice, anyway.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14047 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like The top bands don't make it . Reverse of coin looks real nice but not a FSB Merc .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Lackeys Coins505 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all the knowledge. I wasn't expecting it to be full bands but I sure was hoping lol.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19593 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That one would still be considered Full bands by some but still not perfectly Full. That flatness of some of those sort of makes them almost full but not quite. Kind of lots of opinions on exactly what is full and what is not. So called experts always want those horizontal bands rounded to make them called FSB. Others are willing to take yours as OK though.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3595 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin posted in this thread is not FSB, in my opinion.

There seems to be a misunderstanding as to what Full Split Bands is, so I copied the following directly from the PCGS website:

"Although the central bands must be fully separated with no interruption, it is not necessary to have full roundness to the bands."
ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, merclover's excerpt from PCGS can be found here: https://www.PCGS.com/news/mercury-d...h-full-bands

This also includes the following, "To PCGS graders, a Mercury dime with full band details will have fully separated horizontal bands on the central part of the fasces (the bundle of rods on the reverse). In addition, there can be no interruption on the trough (depression) of the bands due to strike, contact, planchet problems or any other damage, whether mint caused or not, if the coin is to obtain the PCGS Full Band designation."

Based on your first macro-zoom photo, I'd guess PCGS/NGC would not determine this specimen to meet "FB" (full bands) due to the lack of separation at the very middle of the central bands.

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 723Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05