Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979 Good Condition Penny ... Yay Or Nay!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  04:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bamagama to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I happened upon this pretty penny, saw in a couch collectible YouTube video that in mint state it sold for quite a lot!
There's some scratches on this one for sure but other than that it looks pretty good... not sure if that depreciates it enough to be just a cool to look at penny or what :)

Thanks for any input!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
32068 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't believe everything you see on the tube. It would have to grade MS68 or higher to be worth slabbing http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinp...proof=&plus= and your coin does not grade that high. I am not great at grading so I won't. You should also crop and rotate photos properly before posting and I think you posted in the wrong section?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12718 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True , not a contender for TPG but it's a nice red copper Cent . I would hold on to it and put into a 2x2 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44981 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say that obverse oxidation spot holds it to 62 or 63.
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, okay for a 2x2, perhaps MS62+. I have at least 75 of these in similar condition in storage. Maybe I've missed something!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42382 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible finger prints left of UNITED on the Reverse.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bamagama to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, the finger prints thing you mentioned; I gently washed this penny and dried it with a microfiber towel quite well, and those still show up, but only visible when looking at it at a certain angle. They don't seem to have any texture to them so perhaps just a weird stain!

Also thanks for the input so far everyone! I'll be sure to rotate the pictures properly next time, and my bad! Didn't mean to post this in the incorrect area
Edited by bamagama
01/20/2020 10:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1900 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please don't clean your coins at all. A hands-off distilled water bath allowed to air dry would be ok, but everything else... please don't do it or you are damaging your coin.

I agree this coin isn't bad for it's now 41 year old date, but problems (including your cleaning), fingerprints and scratches hold the grading down. A good keeper, and hopefully a lesson learned... please don't clean your coins. Please?

And please work on your photography posting skills... your lighting and size are ok, but you need to learn how to crop your images AND orient them correctly so we don't have to crank our necks to look at your coin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05