Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878-S Morgan Silver Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 518Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  6:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mmcgraw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone enlighten me as to why this 1878-S Morgan silver dollar was bought for 16.5K? I know there are 'special' Morgans with 7 or 8 or double feathers on the Eagle and a convex breast, etc. I don't see where nor does the listing hint to it being 'special'....I'm baffled.

Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1878-S-Mor...AOSwiS9eF6hV

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3504 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am as mystified as you are. It does appear to have sold at the asking price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC says it has a value of 29k so someone got a bargain. Too much for my collection. I bet there are not very many MS66 DPLs. Personally, I don't see the value, I have a nice MS63 I paid a whole lot less for.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS 66 for one thing. It is rare to have a Morgan that old grade that high. Also DPL (Deep Proof Like). Also incredibly rare in a Morgan that old. Some people go nuts for that stuff. NGCs price guide lists it at $29,000, so somebody really got a bargain. I guess. I'm fine with my plain old MS 63s.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a grade rarity. PCGS only has 3 of those with none finer and NGC only has 2 with none finer. More than likely at least one coin is in both populations or one was a regrade so unless we know for sure there are actually 5 there may only be 3 or 4.
Valued Member
Canada
312 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're looking to complete a top pop DPL Morgan type set, this coin is necessary, as basebal laid out.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mmcgraw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone! Makes total sense. I have one - a very nice one IMO - (everyone says that right?) and was valuing for insurance and couldn't see a difference between mine and this. Mine is not graded. I couldn't imagine a coin I have being graded that high...that's just not how things work for me. But, now I'm even more intrigued - and kind of nervous....

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 518Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05