Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying Confederate Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sweden
6 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  06:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SwedishArchaeo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

As in my previous thread, this relates to a small article I am writing for the Swedish Numismatic Journal, and anyone who successfully helps me out here will be acknowledged in the final products.

This specific article is about Confederate paper money that, during the American Civil War and the 10 years immediately following it, were brought to Sweden and donated to local museums.

I only have access to the donation records with the bare minimum of details. The bills have likely not survived in museum storage, sadly.

So, here's the thing; most of the bills noted as donated are fairly straight forward. "Confederate 500 dollar note", etc. Some of them are more confusing, as I'm not sure if the "mainline" CSA government ever printed any, so I'm trying to figure out what's going.

The bills in question are, in translation:

"Donated in July-August 1862 [note the early date] by Mr. Albert Lamm: Paper monies from the Confederate States in America; of 5 Dollars, of 15 Cents, of 10 Cents, of 5 Cents."
Pillar of the Community
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a bit confused what you're asking for.
You mention, "The bills have likely not survived in museum storage, sadly." so I'm guessing you are unable to post photos of the notes. And, you also mention donation descriptions and I'm not sure why because identification requires photos (F&R) of notes in question. What exactly are you asking or need help with please ?
Sweden
6 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SwedishArchaeo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll have to forgive my poor English if that's the case.

I am asking what the notes could have been, because I cannot find any sources indicating that the CSA in 1861-1862 had issued those exact denominations of cent notes. I can find evidence only for 50 cent notes, not 15, 10 or 5.

So my question is, I suppose; could these cent notes have been any other type of currency other than mainline CSA dollars? Maybe North Carolina Confederate currency? Or did the mainline CSA actually print 15, 10 and 5 cent bills that I am simply unable to find?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I did a quick Google search and believe I've found everything you're looking for; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confe...tates_dollar

Most southern states were also printing there own currency so anyone trying to determine their origin would need more details or photos. I'm pretty sure the Confederacy only printed a .50 cent fractional note, and not any .05, .10, or .15 cent notes.
Edited by SteveInTampa
01/24/2020 07:42 am
Sweden
6 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SwedishArchaeo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, but I have been on Wikipedia previously. The page indicates that the CSA only ever issued 50 cent notes, not 15, 10 or 5 cents which the historical material I am working with apparently indicates, which makes me suspect that one of the following is the case:

1. Wikipedia is not complete
2. The Confederate bills noted as donated in Sweden are actually from a CSA state or local currency, not mainline CSA dollars
3. The donation record is somehow incorrect, which would be very strange

And therefore I came here to seek expert help.
Edited by SwedishArchaeo
01/24/2020 07:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once again, without photos and with a limited description provided, how would we know what they have ?
Edited by SteveInTampa
01/24/2020 08:04 am
Sweden
6 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SwedishArchaeo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really see why you should need images. All I need to know is whether or not the mainline CSA ever printed 15, 10 or 5 cent notes, or whether I should propose as an alternative hypothesis that these are actually local currency bills or that there's been a contemporary misunderstanding.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No.
Only .50 cent.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nanobot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this helps but it sounds like you already know the answer. Likely North Carolina fractional notes

https://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/curre...ecimens.html
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05