Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help! Certified (PCGS "62") 1861 $50.00 Confederate Note, But ...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  02:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shenandoah1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased this 1861 $50.00 Confederate note from a well-known and reputable coin retailer online.

My concern is that the holder does not have "Confederate States of America" printed on it -- as virtually every PCGS-graded CSA note I've come across does. I did, however, manage to find two on eBay that do not have it, a $10 note and another $50.

So my questions are: Is there a reason PCGS does not include the "CSA" on certain notes/holders? Is the lack of one indicative of a possible counterfeit holder and/or note?

(One other thing that caught my eye -- the writing style of the serial number looks very "modern," compared to the much longer strokes and flourishes seen on most 19th century writing of this sort. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but coupled with the holder, it has me wondering.)

Thank you for any help or insight you can provide!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2477 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks legit and from what I can tell, it looks like maybe it's just an incomplete holder. All of the T-8 CSA $50 notes I've seen in PCGS holders in the past have a reference to the Confederate States of America on the holder. https://currency.ha.com/c/search-re...rvice-102615

Super nice note.
Edited by SteveInTampa
01/25/2020 04:12 am
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shenandoah1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great, thanks for your help -- much appreciated!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7990 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not expert on CSA notes, but the grainy look of the portrait is suspect to me.

to the forum!
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shenandoah1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reply. I think that has more to do with my out-of-date iPhone camera (and me not being a great photographer to begin with.) It doesn't look grainy in hand, but I hear you -- the photo does give that impression.

By the way, I did have the note itself authenticated today in person by PCGS just to be on the safe side. As for the holder, apparently a relative few went out without the country of origin during a short transition period to a different font and larger point size of the numerical grade. That's what I was told anyway (for all I know somebody just messed up and they don't want to admit it.) Not sure how many are without the country, but it's apparently only in the low hundreds -- and maybe not even that many. I've only seen two others online.

Thanks again. - Rob
Pillar of the Community
United States
7990 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you're in the clear.

Nice note!
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05