Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's The Grade? 6 Coins For My First Submittal.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  8:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add goterps04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These appear to be the best coins in the lot I inherited. Was thinking of grading them for preservation. Are they worth grading? I'll be sure to post the results.

1) 1603 German States Mansfield-Friedsburg, 1 Thaler

2) 1928 Cyprus, 45 piastres

3) 1930-B UK / India, Trade dollar

4) 1933 China "junk", 1 dollar / yuan

5) 1927 China (rosette), momento dollar / yuan

6) 1912 Netherlands, 10 gulden

Pillar of the Community
United States
6450 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1927 China momento dollar looks fake. The 1930 Trade dollar was lightly cleaned and the 12 gulden looks a bit weird to me.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2955 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@terps, I will give a shot at the other coins.

We have a member with a collection of Mansfeld thalers who could give a more definite answer, but if I do a web search, I see that most Mansfeld thalers of this general type from around 1600 in this condition sell in the range of 100 - 125 euros. So, unless this is a rare date, I don't think grading is warranted.

Likewise, without commenting on a possible grade, the highest auction price I could find for high grade examples of the Cyprus 45 piastre coin was 120 pounds, or about $160.

The Netherlands 10 gulden gold coin sold recently (unslabbed graded at AU by the auction house, Heritage) at $300. Bullion value.

If it were me, I would enjoy those coins for their sentimental value. They will keep just fine in the 2 x 2 holders, but if you like the clean look of the plastic holders prodided by a grading service, by all means go for it! You will spread the costs of shipping, etc. if you submit them as a group.
Edited by tdziemia
01/26/2020 10:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44682 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will get many more replies if you show these one at a time.

to the CCF!
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goterps04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again for all the feedback. I'll probably hold onto the ten gulden for bullion value. So should I not grade the 1930 Trade dollar if it looks cleaned?

What about the China junk dollar? Prices on eBay seem to have a big range.

I have some U.S. coins to send too, which may help spread the cost.
Valued Member
New Zealand
70 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
German Thaler - Cleaned VG to VG+
Cyprus coin - stunning UNC/ Slider UNC
Trade dollar and Chinese things - Almost certainly Chinese fakes, last one a bad fake - ungradeable
Dutch 10 Guilders - not sure about this one, lettering looks wrong, but if real - AU
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3135 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you just want the coins preserved, there are cheaper methods than sending to a grading service. there are hard plastic capsules/ boxes available for a fraction of the cost.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goterps04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is "slider UNC" or "stunning UNC"?

Will they not grade the Trade dollar if it's "cleaned", or is that somehow factored into the grade?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2955 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2020  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the grade estimates of @princetane.

Quote:
Dutch 10 Guilders - not sure about this one, lettering looks wrong

I took a look at some auction sales of 5 and 10 G coins of this era, and it is an odd font that was used .. so I don;t see that as an issue. The color is off, but I know from personal experience that it's easy to get a photo of a gold coin with the color completely washed out.
Since it's only worth bullion anyhow, you could take the coin to a dealer or jeweler, and ask if it tests at 90% (which I guess is 22K to a jeweler?)

I think the answer to the question about the Trade dollar is that a high grade cleaned coin can grade at "UNC DETAILS, CLEANED" or something like that.
Edited by tdziemia
02/06/2020 08:50 am
Valued Member
New Zealand
70 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2020  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slider UNC = A coin that is borderline UNC meaning its very slightly worn showing the lightest rubbing on high points -an untrained eye would judge it UNC as it has the full lustre and looks UNC. American equivalent is AU58

Stunning UNC = MS63 to MS64 Better than avg UNC with less marks and dings - usually also with great lustre and eye appeal.

Cleaned coins are often not graded by some grading surfaces as deliberate cleaning means a coin has been "Modified" to make it more attractive.

Coins will come back with a generic grade and the word "Detail" such as "Cleaned Very Fine detail" for a cleaned VF coin.

Hope this helps.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05