Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Accugrade; 1884-O Morgan Dollar DMPL A3/65c

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  6:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Anybody have the Accugrade book that can look the codes up for me? I have a few of these slabs but all the ones I have are the same slabs as this except they're blue labels. On the back of the photo-cert it has some grade info but it doesn't make sense. A= full and 3 = cleaned/hairlines. Not sure what they saw but there aren't any hairlines. There is something that looks like gouges from when the planchet or the die was worked but they're in dented, not raised. And the other thing is they say a commercial grade is ms63c. They give this a 65c? I dont get it so I'm just curious if anybody else has more insight to theyre grading. Thanks.
Edited by Jayyk31
01/26/2020 6:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44983 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is the coin. Please just show us sharp close-up pics of both sides. Forget the holder.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/26/2020 8:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1162 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I played with your photos by cropping the pics, reducing the light and glare, and enhancing the color.

The obverse has some issues. There is an east-west scratch that appears to be on the holder, so I disregarded that. Liberty's face, cheek, and neck have serious road rash. The fields behind Liberty's head and in front of her nose have numerous contact marks. The strike is above average for the date and mint. I do not see any evidence of circulation. The blotchy discoloration at 7:00-8:00 suggests retoning from an old cleaning. There appears to be a light cameo on parts of the devices.

The reverse is much better. The strike is really nice for the date and mint. I do not see any evidence of circulation. There are several contact marks between the motto and STATES and some less significant marks near the upper right wreath. There is solid cameo on the devices. The fields appear to have more of a cartwheel effect than the obverse, and appear more reflective than the obverse. There is blotchy discoloration at 2:00-3:00 and again near 7:00, once again suggesting retoning from an old cleaning.

Accugrade had it as a full strike, but cleaned, MS-65 with a DMPL designation. Zero chance of that. The strike is pretty solid for a New Orleans coin. I agree, it was cleaned. Beyond that, the grade is way off and I can't see any way it could be called a DMPL, based on the obverse.

IMHO, this one really gets a split grade. I see the obverse in the MS-60/61 range and the reverse as MS-64. It is impossible to assess PL/DMPL from the photos, but the contact marks on the obverse would suggest neither designation to be likely for the obverse. One side with PL attributes is not enough.

All things considered, I would see this one going around MS-61 or MS-62, possibly with the old SPL designation, on a bourse floor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2520 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is s book available $23 on Amazon by Alan Hager published in 1984: The Accugrade System: A Comprehensive Guide To Morgan And Peace dollars In Accugrade.
Edited by Slider23
01/27/2020 01:01 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3365 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2020  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's just as explained on the reverse card...

A3-65c =

A = FULL strike (va. B = soft, C = flat)
3 = Dull/cleaned surface (vs. 1 = Frosted or 2= Brilliant)
65 is the grade
c = commercial grade (i.e. market grading)

So today's term is MS Details (cleaned)
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05