Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Difference Between "Struck Through Grease" And Worn Down.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  12:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add The Tin Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! I've been coin collecting for about a month now and the more I learn, the more questions arise. Today I'm baffled on how to tell the difference between a coin that's been struck through grease or that has just been dulled down from years of handling. To my untrained eye they look very similar when I looked up images through Google. I have a feather weat penny I took a picture of as an example.

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add montypython to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question!

Heavily worn coins (like the Lincoln cent you posted) will have all devices about equally softened through the wear and tear.

Struck through grease will have dramatically inconsistent areas of no detail and strong detail. Additionally, almost always, only one side will be struck through grease. The other side will look normal, as my example of a 2019 quarter pulled from a box of mint-fresh War in the Pacifics illustrates.

Notice on the Washington side how strong some of the letters and words are, seemingly at random?

On the opposite side, the finer details are soft, but the main lines of the devices are still quite sharp.

Hopefully this helps!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10548 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  01:43 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also notice how strong the rim is on the quarter obverse. The rims, like the high points on each face, receive the most wear. Weak design and strong rims usually indicate a "greaser."
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
31901 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Not a feather but wheat stalks. Also,in future posts please crop and rotate photos properly before posting...thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
14766 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work @mp!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44749 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question!

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42246 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The more grease in the die, the weaker the devices will be. The grease prevents the die from having normal depth, reducing the height of the devices. Grease can affect one device or block out a lot from appearing:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42246 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage often leaves distortion to the tops of the devices:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05