Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 Jefferson 5 Cent Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  12:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
thank you all very much. I found out what he has for a coin. he has double punched P and more. with that said thank you all for your help. I told him throw them on e bay. he should get some thing for them. I am not a coin grader. but his coins not to bad a shape. again thank you all.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if a Jefferson nickle is struck with a P on the coin. my friend has brought me some D stamped Jefferson. would that being maybe at a different mint I think. should the coins be different from the P marked Jefferson. meaning the inscriptions on the sides of the coin are not the same spacing. any input greatly appreciated. thank you all for your help.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42347 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But why would he sell a normal 1980-P nickel for a premium? All the Philly nickels have the 'P' on them?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop But why would he sell a normal 1980-P nickel for a premium?
All the Philly nickels have the 'P' on them. well I dont know much about your coins. thank you ok so the P is not about being plated is about the phil mint. wow coop from mint to mint same line of coins are they all slightly different. because they are created by different mints or should they be the same. the only difference is the mint mark. yes when I showed him the doubling. he said ok great . he asked are they worth anything. I said I can not tell you. here in canada a doubled mint mark. well it pays a little extra. these coins I said I do not know. that the only reason I said e bay is probably your best bet.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh do I have some thing to show you guys. I have to find a way to share a video. you will not believe what you are seeing. I will get this done.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42347 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mintmarks were added to the die until 1989. Starting in 1990, they are part of the designs so no more varied locations and RPM after that date. On 1995-D cents there was a DDO that affected the mintmark and the date:

So after 1990 if the mintmarks are showing doubling, it is considered then as part of the doubled die. (Some mintmarks show extreme die wear and show altered mintmarks, without a doubled die. They are just a die wear issue and not a doubled die)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop thank you so much that helps a lot. again thank you now I understand.
coop one more question from mint to mint are various differences. from mint to mint other than the mint mark. again thank you
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2020  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop here is and image of a 1999 Jefferson nickle. what I am wondering. why are the inscriptions different from the denver mint to the philly mint. why are placed slightly different. plus one can see the bust is slightly different. I thought that the mints. would use the same exact design. thank you for your information.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
783 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oldmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still having trouble figuring out what you are trying to prove with this
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oldmike what I would like to know is. from mint to mint are there differences in the dies used to produce these coins. like the Denver mint to Philly mint, oldmike are there variation on the surface of these coins. all I am wondering is that and except able practice.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42347 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a bit of damage on that arrow area. The mintmark is normal for that year. Here is how you can tell:

1. Variety Vista Nickel link:
http://www.varietyvista.com/index.htm
Choose Jefferson nickels
2.Doubled die page:
The mintmark styles and other varieties are listed on these pages. (Note when opened) These are usually on the first doubled die location pages regardless of dates.
Chose doubled dies
http://www.varietyvista.com/04a%20J...Listings.htm
3. Mint mark style link:
Choose mintmark style link.
http://www.varietyvista.com/04a%20J...20Styles.htm
4. Mintmark styles:
Choose Denver.
Find the year:
http://www.varietyvista.com/04a%20J...20Styles.htm
There is the information.
Same works for obverse and reverse designs. Go to the first doubled die information to find these subjects also.
Hope this helps.

Also extreme die wear will also alter the mintmark shape. I also see that as an issue on your coin.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop thank you so much for all your help. I appreciate that again thank you. I will take my time and study this information. thanks Coop
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop I understand now how this will work. coop I have found 2 possible varieties. the only way I want to do this. I want to wait. I want to be able, to do stacks of all 4 coins. I see how the group is building a big catalog. I want the most perfect images I can shoot. I will be putting all my gear back together later this year. if you do not mind I would like your help with these. I will contact you later. have a great one
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05