Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

In What Stage Are You As A Collector?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 2,627Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
774 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a 2 in my heart, but acting like a 3. The next holes I have to fill are priceier so I need to save up but my wife would rather spend elsewhere, and the bank says I only have so much.
My hoard of '82s is up to 192! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 12, 1682 x 14, 1782 x 50, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 31
Edited by Collects82
02/10/2020 2:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am probably a little past 2. I am actively collecting while being more selective than I was several years ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2070 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at a 3 for sure. I cant even remember the last non bullion coin I bought. However, if I found a nice Capped Bust quarter that caught my eye at a decent price I wouldn't be able to look the other way. I rarely find a decent example at a decent price anymore.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinquest1961 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 1/2 for me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
793 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am vacillating between 2 and 3.

However I started coin collecting at age 9 and first got serious just before my 15th birthday, by identifying what I had, buying a NZ coin catalogue and deciding to collect old New Zealand coins (Like all the Halfcrowns and other stuff I show) and British coins.

I collected very actively up to the age of 22 (1998) when university and my first relationship intervened. I still bought occasionally - but by this stage had a nice collection of silver American Morgans, Walkers, Franklins and even a Bust Half (1830 large 0), lots of Canadian silver dollars that Dorado would drool over and the like.

But then on April 16th 2001 when I was 2 weeks off my 25th birthday, this wonderful collection was stolen. My first relationship broke up and I moved in with my parents for a few months (It DID NOT work out). On the way down I stopped at a local mountain park and decided to climb the hill, when I came back my car had been broken into and the boot had been opened with the aforesaid coin collection stolen and gone!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
03/29/2020 01:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6962 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  01:59 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stage 3. I currently collect type coins and am extremely selective in my attentions, I may only buy a new type coin once very month or two even if I have the funds solely because often times I feel there isn't a "quality enough" example to warrant purchase if that makes sense.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
793 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After that I went from Stage 3 to stage 0 and was so traumatised over the loss. Fortunately it was insured, but I only got $2250 for basically a $10 - $15k collection and a lot of it bought with student loan I still have not paid back. The coins have never surfaced as the keystone cops in the area had no clues in how to search for them.

In 2005 I started collecting stamps very seriously and still do now. I got occasional accumulation coins here and there and around 2012 started buying groups off 2 old ladies in my stamp book circuit - this continues to now, and always sold them on Trade me never accumulating more than handfuls of common change.

However in 2018 with the arrival of employment after years and a rekindled interest I stareted collecting seriously again - at first anything silvery and historic, along with a new NZ collection which started when another stamp friend offloaded about 70% complete of a NZ Predecimal mix and from this base I have added to it and started upgrading indicvidual coins. I also collect global coins and change and again have an abiding interest in British and Pacific coins - however not American as there are so many Chinese fakes out there.

So

Stage 1 - 1985 - 1990
Stage 2 - 1991 - 1994
Stage 3 - 1995 - 1998
Stage 4 - 1998 - 2000

Stage 0 2001 - 2008
Stage 1 2008 - 2018
Stage 2 2018 - 2019
Stage 3 - 2020 onwards.

edited by Moderator
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17004 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Princetane:
You remind me of the Australian bush fire victims. Some don't survive, but you have.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4759 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  07:34 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose I am at the tail end of #3 and heading toward #4 at this point. My recent purchase of a 1916-S Walking Liberty half dollar in lieu of attending a now-cancelled coin show was the very last coin on my "remotely affordable key date" bucket list. Other than eventually completing my set of 5 oz ATB silver pucks and perhaps checking out whatever new limited edition offering the Mint comes out with each year, I'm pretty much done as far as coins go.

My paper money collection is in pretty much the same state. Maybe someday I'll find a technicolor note I can afford in a condition I can live with, but I don't see that happening anytime soon (if ever). Other than that, I pretty much just keep an eye out for interesting serial numbers and errors at this point.

I've never thought of actually selling off my collection, but if my 401K keeps plummeting the way it has the past week or so, I suppose it might be an option at some point in the future. I hope not, though.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Valued Member
Canada
199 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still accumulating but moving towards refining and improving overall grade, eye appeal etc.. Starting to think about new areas to grow into. Ancients maybe?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2479 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stage three.

I collect new editions out of my change and aside from completing the US Presidential dollars have no aims to add any more world coinage. I completed and album of ancient coinage and am done with that. I finished a box of sovereigns and almost completed a box of half sovereigns.

I feel like I have a completed English notes collection though may add more of the white notes. I also feel like aside from a Lincoln Fractional and a Justice seated fractional I am pretty much done with American notes.

I will add sets of foreign notes as I visit new countries too.

Generally I am pretty inactive, still collecting some watches and small silver antiques though.
Learn More...
Canada
9084 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stages 2 and 3. I am a registry set player, so the hunt is always there to improve my collection on the various series of coins I collect (Stage 3). I am also an error and variety collector in those same series, and almost every error is unique (Stage 2). I still hunt mint rolls and bags, seeking higher grades, varieties and even errors - the thrill of the hunt is still there.

I definitely acquire more errors on a monthly basis, than upgrades to my registry sets.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
1862 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at what I picked up lately (AU/MS Indian Head cents), I guess I'm firmly in 3 now.
Learn More...
United States
86522 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2020  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking at what I picked up lately (AU/MS Indian Head cents), I guess I'm firmly in 3 now.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 2,627Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05