Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1855c One Dollar Gold Die Pairs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  07:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jbohanon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I have a one dollar gold 1855c that I posted on here a while back.

I've had three graders I trust look at it and claim that the back is worn. However, I just bought the Bowers book on one dollar gold and of the 1855c it says,

"Invariably the planchets and the quality of striking are extremely poor, and the date and the word DOLLAR are almost always weak. In fact, the 8 is almost always missing on some specimens. Many pieces also show distinct clashmarks. Because of the poor planchets and equally poor quality of striking, grading is difficult."

I found the following three graded coins from auctions that show exactly the same lack of details on the back:

https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...ar-NGC-MS-61

https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...ar-NGC-AU-58

https://coins.ha.com/itm/gold-dolla...ption-071515

There is a die clash visible on mine as well as all of these, so I'm relatively confident this will grade way higher than my graders claimed (one said F15, eg). but the thing I'm most curious about is the lettering on the obverse. For my coin and for all three of these, all of the letters look like they're sitting atop a smooshed/dilated version of the same letter. Is that possibly a consequence of the die clash, or is this some sort of variety? I haven't found any more details about this.

In contrast, I found several coins that don't show the weak strike on the reverse, but the obverse details are mushy as heck. These don't have that feature.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2993 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
all of the letters look like they're sitting atop a smooshed/dilated version of the same letter
Sounds like die wear; I see it all the time on modern coins, though I hadn't heard of an example that old before. It must have been an extremely overworked die that made those.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out this MS 61 example from the PCGS coin values page.
https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...5-c-g-1/7533
Pillar of the Community
United States
2048 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a really ugly MS-61 SeatedNut. Judging from the portrait and the missing part of DOLLAR, compared to the relatively sharper wreath, it looks like it wasn't struck with enough force to form the deeper center details.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
02/11/2020 12:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16319 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way is this coin a F-15. The pictures aren't good but it is at least an XF-45 and has some claims to a higher grade. It isn't MS though as it does have some wear.

Basically on type II dollars you don't pay any attention to the details at the center of the reverse because they are often weak or missing just due to the strike.

When they decided the 13 mm type I dollar was just too small they increased the diameter to 15 mm with no increase in weight thus resulting in an even thinner planchet. The the new head design was small and in high relief that resulted in the central portion of the reverse not striking up, there just wasn't enough metal there. Thus the missing letter in DOLLAR and the two center digits of the date. On the type III they increased the size of the head but significantly lowered the relief with the result being much better striking of the reverse.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would peg your coin as XF-45, maybe AU-50. As stated the center weakness is typical. The blunt obverse letters are also more or less normal.
The 1855-C gold dollar is quite a valuable coin and should be professionally graded. I would use PCGS if it were mine.
Congrats on owning this special piece!
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbohanon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some better pics

Definitely plan to submit. Just trying to get an idea of the value for insurance purposes!

This coin is my dad's. He's been collecting for over 60 years and has some great pieces that he got for much less than they're worth today. Eg, in the 60s he traded 5 1950d nickels for a Seated dollar, a 10 dollar Indian and a 20 dollar Liberty that is proof like at least if not a proof.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I estimate this coin would sell in the $6000 range. It's quite a prize!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05