Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880-S Morgan Silver Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  10:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tyankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Could use some help with this coin that we found cleaning out an attic.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46163 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you give us some enlarged images?

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2834 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was it found in the 2x2?
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tyankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@greasy fingers - what do you mean by a 2x2?
@coinfrog - i'll try and get better pictures with my phone
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tyankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More pictures
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tyankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to resize these down a lot so that they could be posted here. I have much more detailed pictures but they won't upload here.

Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46163 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to say this looks like a solid 66 from what I can see.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2395 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks cleaned.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not going to attempt to grade the coin, I'll leave that to those that are better at it than I. I only want to comment on what is written on the 2X2 flip.

High grade is what many coin dealers write on flips. It's supposed to get you excited, to get you thinking that you're buying something really special, but it means little. The MS-68 also means little, especially in light of the fact that the same person that wrote "High Grade" also wrote "MS-68", and also wrote "Rare". An 1880-S in itself is not rare, but a rather common date. What would make this "Rare", is if it were an actual MS-68 professionally graded ...... MS-68 Morgan dollars are rare in any year, and because of their rarity, the difference in value between a graded MS-66 and an MS-68 is like the difference in value between an ounce of lead and an ounce of gold.

You are doing the right thing here in asking the community their opinion, and if you get a strong consensus of opinion that this is truly a "High Grade" coin in the upper MS states, then it would be wise to have it professionally graded by PCGS or NGC to see if it's really gold or lead.

But with all that being said, it's a very nice Morgan and I wish you all the luck with this coin (and I wish it were mine).
Pillar of the Community
United States
8383 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
retake photos like the first ones with the following changes. remove the coin from the holder. be careful with the staples. try to take the photos without overhead lighting. natural lighting is best. tilt the coin a little if necessary to eliminate as much glare as possible. crop the photos down to just the coin eliminate any space around it. the coin surfaces need to looked at without glare to determine grade. the 80(S) is a common date coin however the price difference between when you go over 65 is significant.

these are retail prices at each grade. as you can see 1 point makes a huge difference. in order to grade this coin properly we need nice sharp photos without as much glare as possible

MS65-$125
MS66-$219
MS67-$690
MS68-$5160
Pillar of the Community
United States
1364 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Check shadowtrooper78's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add shadowtrooper78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Halos around the devises make the coin appear polished or whizzed in my eyes
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS details, cleaned. It has the look of one harshly cleaned with baking soda and water or similar abrasive, multiple times. Flat dull luster with halo around all the lettering and devices. The baking soda grinds off small marks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1206 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

It's impossible to see the coin's details from photos taken with the coin in the holder. I agree with @panzaldi on seeing new photos without the holder.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tyankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm working on detailed pictures.. newbie at this.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05