Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1963 Proof Half With Type 2 Reverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 490Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
126 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  1:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Moosieweed88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These ben Franklin halves are confusing but this 63 proof doesn't match my 61 proof and it matches my 50s business strike halves

Pillar of the Community
United States
4355 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be type 1 as there are four feathers to the left of the perch. Type 2 only has three feathers to the left of the perch. Both reverse types were used intermittently during that year but the type 1 is less common than the type 2.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46242 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4011 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the VARIETY VISTA Site:

http://varietyvista.com/11%20Frankl...arieties.htm

Additional Info:

http://www.franklinlover.yolasite.c...Proofs%20RDV

A Franklin Proof for 1963: All Reverse's should be a TYPE 2.

No Type 1 is listed for 1963 PROOF Franklin half dollars.

Are you certain your coin is a PROOF 1963 and not a high Mint State Franklin?

If it is a proof, you have a possible rare coin-(IMHO).

Edited by chuckster 125
02/13/2020 5:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moosieweed88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly dont know anything about it I got it from a estate sale and it has that chrome milky whiteish look to it. It matches my proof 61 and my business strike Franklin's have that metallic color like cupronickel
Pillar of the Community
United States
4011 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you please post a closeup of the Eagle on the reverse of your PROOF 61 Franklin?

I would like to compare pics of the eagles on both coins.

This should help in determining if your 1963 is a proof or a Mint State Business Strike coin.

Thanks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 490Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05