Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Need Help, I Want To Sell These Coins I Have, But Don't Know The Best Way

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  04:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HairyCoinNoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not a collector so I just want to sell these coins I have been going through for the past couple of week/posting on here. But I need help because I never sold coins before.

it's mostly just the silver that I believe is worth anything in these coins I have. If someone could look through them and make sure I'm not making a mistake, that would be awesome!

and I has some questions!!

1. Whats the best way to sell these?

I kinda want to just get rid of these all at once, or would I make way less cash that way?

2. Whats the best place/store/site/shop to sell them?

Like, if theres a coin store in my city, would that be the best way? And would they be trust-able/fair @ price? or would putting them to bid on ebay be safer/better? or is there any special sites to sell coins/silver too?

Here the coins that I'm pretty sure are only worth silver prices.

Heres zoomed in pics

and these I don't think are worth anything, so should I sell them separate? or just toss them back in the box downstairs and let them sit for another 1000 years?

I will take closer pics if you need me too. Any info will help! Thanks!!
Edited by HairyCoinNoob
02/14/2020 05:02 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3155 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can tell you right now that my LCS would only be offering silver value for the silver ones, and face value for the others. the few foreign coins would be bought for a few dollars per pound. of course, my LCS is in Canada. It is fair because he sells coins in that condition for melt.

The simple equation for selling is if you want your money quickly and not have to do any work, you get less money. If you do the work (such as put it on eBay), it will take time but you will get more.

I am seeing about 6 ounces of silver and some spendable coins. If the LCS pays 80% of melt, that is $ 85 for the silver. I don't see you getting much more than $40 extra by selling on eBay, mostly for the silver dollars.

You have to decide whether it is worth it.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16457 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For these particular coins, oriole has said it exactly right.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12688 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like all you have there is common junk silver and a few coppers and Nickels but nothing of value . If you really need to sell you will only get silver melt for most of it . I would keep the 1988-S silver OLYMPIAD unless they want to give you a premium for it . Sell at '' We buy Gold and Silver shops , coin shops , coin shows .
Good luck .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1199 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know were you live, but like even you said, most of the stuff isn't worth more than melt. I would personally sell it to a local coin shop, there isn't much premium on anything you have their. If you can I would check out at least 2 and pick the one that offers you more money.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HairyCoinNoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
oriole Posted - Today :4H 10M ago I can tell you right now that my LCS would only be offering silver value for the silver ones, and face value for the others. the few foreign coins would be bought for a few dollars per pound. of course, my LCS is in Canada. It is fair because he sells coins in that condition for melt.

The simple equation for selling is if you want your money quickly and not have to do any work, you get less money. If you do the work (such as put it on eBay), it will take time but you will get more.

I am seeing about 6 ounces of silver and some spendable coins. If the LCS pays 80% of melt, that is $ 85 for the silver. I don't see you getting much more than $40 extra by selling on eBay, mostly for the silver dollars.

You have to decide whether it is worth it.

Hmm... Yeah I don't know if $40 more dollars is worth selling them on ebay. I take it I would have to almost sell the coins 1 by 1 on ebay.. and that doesn't sound fun @ shipping each one lol.

But thanks for the info! I'm glad to have that $85 price now. So if I do sell the silver coins to a local coin store or some other place, i'll know weather or not they are tryin to TAKE ADVANTAGE OF MY HAIRY COIN NOOB BEHIND!! AND RIPPPP MEEE OFFF! lol.

Quote:
sel_69l Posted - Today :3H 8M ago For these particular coins, oriole has said it exactly right.

Thanks for the info! yeah this site seems to be full of friendly helpful coin collectors! Kinda makes me want to be a coin collector some day!! lol

Quote:
T-BOP Posted - Today :2H 25M ago Looks like all you have there is common junk silver and a few coppers and Nickels but nothing of value . If you really need to sell you will only get silver melt for most of it . I would keep the 1988-S silver OLYMPIAD unless they want to give you a premium for it . Sell at '' We buy Gold and Silver shops , coin shops , coin shows .
Good luck .

Thanks for the info!

Yeah all these coins I been going through are pretty much junk, I thought I had some rare coins, but turns out.. THEY ARE JUST TRASH! JUST LIKE MY COIN FINDING LUCK IS! lol.

also I forgot about that OLYMPIAD coin.. I don't know why I put that in the picture lol. I actually have the box/case or w/e it is for it, with some proof paper thingy. I'll probably just sell that one separate. I'll check and see if there is a "we buy gold and silver" shop by me, and maybe try that place 1st.

Quote:

hfjacinto Posted - Today :1H 51M ago I don't know were you live, but like even you said, most of the stuff isn't worth more than melt. I would personally sell it to a local coin shop, there isn't much premium on anything you have their. If you can I would check out at least 2 and pick the one that offers you more money.

Thanks for the info!

Alright, yeah i'll probably give that a try @ coin shop 1st. Maybe i'll get lucky and they will be like... "OMG!! WE ALWAYS WANTED A BUNCH OF DAMAGED TRASH COINS THAT LOOKS LIKE THEY BEEN THROUGH WOOD CHIPPER! HERES $100000000!!".. IT COULD HAPPEN RIGHT?!?!! MIIRIGHT?!?!?! :D

Also, do anyone of u guys know, if I just sell them all together on ebay as one package.. would I still make about 85$ / melt valute atleast?
Edited by HairyCoinNoob
02/14/2020 11:28 am
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, IMHO, I'd keep the silver for a while even if they are junk, and keep adding to it if possible. Silver seems to be going up ever so slightly. Also, You may want to keep the 1921 Morgans until next year being they will be 100 years old then. I've noticed the prices for these are going up right now, and their silver value now is at $13.72 ea.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1853 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you just want to move on from these coins and want a nice steak dinner out of it, I agree with what others have said about visiting your local coin shop and letting them deal with it. You now have a rough idea of what sort of money to expect ($80-90). If some point way down the road you catch the coin collecting bug, you can start out the same way most of us have by sorting through pocket change and seeing what strikes your fancy and go from there. I wouldn't worry about a local coin shop trying to take advantage of you. They want you happy so you'll tell your friends about them. Best of luck to you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1199 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey any updates? Did you sell the coins?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05