Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943-S War Nickel With Possible Lamination.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 333Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  1:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ChangeFinds1997 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this opening a roll of nickels in my register and immediately pulled it out. Noticed when customers slowed down and I took a closer look at it that it might have lamination at 11:00 as if Jefferson got slashed in the head by Freddy Kruger. I'm sure this is a minor lamination error though I always like y'all's opinion before I sort it and store it away. Thanks and HH.
Learn More...
United States
16398 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cf1997, finding old coins in change is always fun!

It is hard to tell from this pic if you have a lam on not (best practice is to shoot pics before tucking it away in a 2x2). I would suspect not though, and here is why: most lams cross over design features as they are a result of a planchet flaw that existed prior to striking. It would be very unusual for a lam to start and stop on the exact edge of TJ's forehead. More likely is damage.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48916 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence - what else might it be? Doesn't look like typical damage.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChangeFinds1997 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bad, these are coins I had found from my job over the past few weeks and I generally slap them in 2x2s and stow them away and forgetting about them from being busy. But here is a better picture of the area in question.
Learn More...
United States
16398 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that is a much better pic!

This is still a bit of a head-scratcher for me and I'm looking forward to others weighing in with their opinions. I'm still in the damage camp, but absolutely willing to have my mind changed.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChangeFinds1997 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of head scratcher, yes the nickel is a head scratcher, no pun intended
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05