Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gobrecht Dollar In Type Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  3:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add happycoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all!
So I am putting together my list for a type set. What I WANT to include is one of every circulating US coin type from start to date. No varieties, no proofs, except for what I happen to buy. My question is... I don't want to include the Gobrecht silver dollar as its way too expensive and I don't want to go into this knowing I won't complete the type set.

Here is where you come in... how can I justify having this be a COMPLETE circulating US coin type set if I make this omission? My OCD brain does not like me doing that one bit! Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
775 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I mean the Gobrecht dollar was minted only experimentally to test public perception and not intended to circulate widely. So from a circulating coin standpoint you are fine.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (United Kingdom)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8607 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to have an 1793 Half Cent in my US Type set, and some early flowing hair coins too, but it isn't going to happen. I am sure that is the case for many of us. But we can still collect as many different US coin types and consider them our "Type Sets".
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
02/17/2020 4:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 7070 doesn't include a lot of the really scarce early coins for this reason. Ex. they don't list pre-1829 half dimes, pre-1807 halves, pre-1796 large cents, etc.
A long time ago, they used to have a gold page, but stopped making them as the price of gold surged to the point where that one page would cost $6,000 when the rest of the album would cost maybe $1,500.
Currently interested in buying 1957 and earlier Russian and Soviet coins. Let me know if you have any and we can hook up a deal!
Edited by CalzoneManiac
02/17/2020 5:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4535 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, you get to decide what your type set will include.

I do NOT include the 1792 half disme nor the Gobrecht dollars.
But I DO include three SL Quarters: Type 1, Type 2/Pedestal Date and Type 2/Recessed Date.
That's one of my preferences.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7756 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of early US gold coins (like the 1795 small eagle $5 and $10) are pricier than the Gobrecht dollars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9274 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have no problem skipping the Gobrecht and including a No Motto Liberty Seated $1 right after a Draped Bust Heraldic reverse piece. Put your mind at ease.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
927 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A long time ago, they used to have a gold page, but stopped making them as the price of gold surged to the point where that one page would cost $6,000 when the rest of the album would cost maybe $1,500.

The Gold Page can still purchased separately, or at least a few years ago it could.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add happycoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone! And yes I do know that the type set is whatever I want it to be. My only problem is, as mentioned, being a bit too OCD about it, and not wanting to just pick and choose what I considering to be "circulating coinage" based on what I can afford, even though that may have to be the case.
I totally hadn't thought about circulating gold coinage which I was not planning on adding either! I could justify that by saying gold coins were made illegal to own in the US for many years so that took them out of the circulating coin category and into collector pieces! I am open to any other thoughts on why I should or shouldn't include certain series or dates!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2562 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My recommendation it start with the 7070 with gold as it will most likely take you a couple years to finish. Once you complete the set, then, you can decide if you want to add the more expensive coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16332 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Gobrecht is kind of a strange case. Yes, the 1836 coins were technically issued for circulation is as much as they were sent to the Bank of the United States, But they were also all Proof strikings and who goes to all the trouble to make proofs and then puts them into circulation? I suspect most of those first 1000 coins were used as "presentation" type pieces t just show off the new design and get feedback. I would think that very few were actually ever released by the Bank into actual circulation. Most of the circulated pieces known today were either just mishandled, or spent years later after the Seated dollars were in circulation by heirs who didn't realize what they were.

The 600 pieces struck in 1837 may not even be considered a legal coinage. They were struck to the new weight standard passed in 1837, but the coins were illegally dated 1836. By law the coins had to bear the date of the year of coinage and the 1836 412 1/2 grain dollars did not.

I also have my doubts as to whether the 300 1839 dollars were ever released to the banks either. And you still have the problem who uses the medal press to make proof coins and then puts them into circulation? If they really intended them to be circulation strikes, why not use the regular coining presses?
Gary Schmidt
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add happycoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder101 - Very helpful and informative information! Much appreciated. I agree that there is much that is unique about this series, not the least of which is the fact that yes they were all proof coins. I am not including other proofs coins in my type set so that distinction alone is important I think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IIRC, the Capped bust halves were designed primarily for inter-bank transactions, and this is the reason why so many higher grade coins are available compared to the half dimes, dimes, and quarters. You look at the mintage numbers for the halves and compare them to the smaller coins, and often times they're many multiples of the smaller coin mintages (if there were even any coins minted those years for the smaller coins). It wasn't until the 1830s when production of these smaller coins increased to the level where they were being struck on a consistent basis.
Currently interested in buying 1957 and earlier Russian and Soviet coins. Let me know if you have any and we can hook up a deal!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05