Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 243 / Views: 11,109Next Topic
Page: of 17
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Halberstadt, Germany: St Stephen

1542 taler with St Stephen on obverse

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Osnabruck, Germany: St Peter

St Peter left with keys, Charlemagne right with sword

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bamberg, Germany: St George

Popular St George slaying the dragon on the right.

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wurzburg: St Kilian, St Kolonat (Colman), St Totnan.

Image on right illustrates 3 saints of Wurzburg, martyred in 689 while performing missionary work in the area: Kilian, Kolonat, and Totnan.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4004 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!
Thanks for those fantastic adds, @wcg. Looks like Sede Vacante types are a specialty of yours?

On the Bamberg coin, I am guessing this is maybe a "twofer" with Saint (Emperor) Henry in the first photo, with what is unmistakably a view from the east of Bamberg cathedral behind him:

Edited by tdziemia
06/15/2020 10:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wcg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @tdziemia! There were some fascinating designs that I had never seen before in this thread. I've had a weakness for the sede vacante pieces from German and Austrian States for some time now. The design, historical aspect, and simple thrill of the hunt is all part of the allure.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
880 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow some fantastic medal/coin WCG
Pillar of the Community
United States
604 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saint Anthony - 1995 Portugal 500 Escudos

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4004 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2020  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great contribution!
Now I need to look for some photographs of the Lisbon cathedral which I visited recently. As I recall, it is on a famously steep tram line.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3279 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2020  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It surprised me that this thread had so far lacked any representation of perhaps one of the best known saints of the modern world - Saint Nicholas...

...at least until I looked up just how rare most of his coins are, anyway.

Nevertheless, I now have a coin with him - even if it's in fairly bad condition (and with terrible photos)...

Duchy of Sabbioneta, Vespasiano Gonzaga, sesino, 1562-1591
Obverse: VESP D G DVX SABLON I, bust of Vespasiano Gonzaga facing left
Reverse: SANCT VS NICOLAVS S, Saint Nicholas (presumably) standing
Numista 167193, dunno what the other references mean

When I was trying to attribute this coin, I basically only had NICOLAVS (and the not-very-indicative DVX) to go on; everything else was barely visible. It's telling as to how extremely rare St. Nicholas coins are that this was enough.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4004 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2020  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is what I remember of St. Nicolas images on coins (I am away from home and my refernece materials)
- yes, they are not as common as we would expect.
- he is depicted on some small denomination medieval coins (12th-13th c.?)of southern Italy (Bari?)
- he is on a Silesian 16th century groschen (I cannot remember exactly which principality in SIlesia)
- he is on a rare 17th c. ducat of the Duchy of Lorraine
- he is on a few coins of one of the Swiss cantons, Fribourg, I think

Great addition to the thread!

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3279 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2020  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Um, quick question: are coins eligible for this thread if they are supposed to depict a saint, but the actual depiction appears to be entirely or almost entirely worn off?
Learn More...
United States
17758 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it is @tdz's thread to curate, but my vote would be to include them!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4004 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2020  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. Go for it!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3279 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I legitimately wasn't sure if that sort of thing counted...

Papal States, Bologna
Pope Clement XI (1700-21)
(Billon) muraiola of 2 bolognini
19 mm, 1.28 grams

Obverse: [CLE]MENS.XI.PON[.]MA, bust right (presumably of Clement XI)
Reverse: [S.PE]TRONIVS [DE.BON.], St. Petronius standing (with assorted background objects I'm not sure of the identity of)

In hand, a lot more detail is visible; might try to take better pics later, though the pics here give a good idea of what I saw when I bought this.
A few of the letters in brackets are in fact just barely readable in hand.

In retrospect (and guided by the CNI description), I think the second pic might be upside down. That's probably Petronius's saintly cap at 5:30.
(Yes, you can't see anything at 5:30 here, that's the photo's fault. In hand it's so clear I'm not sure how I missed it.)

Lamoneta.it W-CXIBOL/9-16, CNI 202 (vol. X p. 242)
Cf. Numista 152990 (technically the same type)

...Attributing this had been an exercise in confusion.

Stage 1, at shop:
- It clearly says XI on it. Someone the 11th.
- It looks 17th or 18th century. Way too late for Louis XI. Could it be Carl XI of Sweden?
- That name before the XI doesn't look like Carl to me.
- To be honest, it doesn't look much like anything to me. What the triangular heck is that name?
- Whatever. Looks cool. Let's buy it.

Stage 2, at home:
- Load up Numista, search for "XI".
- 878 results found
- ...Oh, right. Search for "XI" in lettering.
- 485 results found
- Ugh. "XI" in lettering and 18-21 mm diameter.
- 50 results found
- OK, that's manageable. Let's see if any make sense...
- sees the Clement XI coin
- Oh, right, Clemens XI! I thought that name looked weird.

Stage 3:
- OK, so it's Clemens XI.
- There's a bunch of similar coins, though.
- I thought it was the Bologna one, but it has a bust left. This is clearly bust right.
- There's a Ferrara one with bust right.
- Would be a bit sad if I had a boring St. George instead of a cool St. Petronius.
- (I actually thought that.)
- Wait, that clearly looks like it says Petronius on my coin.
- So it is Petronius. Definitely not George.
- That bust looks wrong though.
- Also, if there are two [make that three, actually], there might be more. I know Numista is incomplete. Let's see what Google says...

Stage 4:
- [assorted unsuccessful googlings skipped - I don't actually recall what exactly I googled]
- OK, that doesn't seem to work.
- (I found a few examples, but they're all either obviously wrong or bust left.)
- I know of a blog that seems to have all kinds of Papal coins.
- [several more unsuccessful googlings later]
- I know I've mentioned in on CCF.
- [a few successful googlings later]
- Oh, right, it's in French. Clement XI. Not Clemens. That explains why I couldn't find it.
- There are 13 pages of Clement XI coins in there. Ugh.
- [a bit of looking through them later]
- OK, I found one example where the bust looks right.
- No references though. And the legend doesn't quite match either.
- Let's google it again!

Stage 5:
- OK, so I know it's Clement XI, or Clemens XI, or Clemente XI in Italian apparently.
- And it's a muraiola, so let's include that too.
- (The blog spells it as "muraloia", by the way, but that appears to be wrong.)
- To Google Images!
- OK, so the site with the listing of Italian coins has a bust-right photo.
- It also says the legend ends PROT BON.
- ...I think I can see BON on mine if I squint?
- Sure not what the pic says though.
- ...To the other site with the listing of Italian coins!

At this point I go to Lamoneta.it, find the entry, and realize that, as far as I can tell, the last line is an exact match for my coin.
And fix the Numista page, while I'm at that. (It didn't have a "no date" line when I started.)

[I apologize for the wall of text. Really wanted to share this though.]
Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 243 / Views: 11,109Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05