Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1997 Bronze Penny No Scale Or Popsickle Stick

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  11:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Errorunknown to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone hear of a 1997 Bronze penny or should I weight : ) for a scale ?
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You would really have to weigh it, but I am sure I can see plating bubbles which indicate a regular plated zinc cent.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32709 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a normal copper plated cent. Copper 3.1 grams +/- .13 copper plated 2.5 grams +/- .13
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3304 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Colour is NOT a reliable guide to composition. Copper, plated or not, can tone to any colour of the rainbow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13005 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not exactly in the transitional period ! No scale ? Use ice-cream stick or wood tongue depressor .

Home made penny scale like the seasaws on a playground:

Take a popsicle stick or something like that, and break or cut about a half inch length of a round pencil, and get the glue ready.

get a pre-82 penny placed on one end and position the pencil under the popsicle stick where the balance just tips, then glue it. A zinc penny will not tip, a copper will.

To add to this already explaine best and cheapest method. Try to use a standard six sided pencil. It wil stay steady while you glue the Popsicle or Ice Creame stick to it. Balance the stick on the pencil, glue in place, wait for it to dry of course. Sticks work best if all popsicles and/or Ice Creame is eaten first. Note you now have a balance beam scale and as noted free. You can test two ways. If you place a pre 82 cent on one side, any lighter 82 plated cent will not make the stick move. If you place a post 82 cent on one end, any Copper 82 cent will make the stick drop on the end it is placed. Note that if you glue a post 82 cent to one end, the glue itself will add weight to that end unless you use a very small amount of glue.
And remember, when finished you can still use your scale to weigh other things or just throw in the garbage
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19174 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stand on your house scale and weigh yourself with out the cent. Then get back on the same scale with that cent. Then subtract weight one from weight two.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13005 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1883 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Stand on your house scale and weigh yourself with out the cent. Then get back on the same scale with that cent. Then subtract weight one from weight two.

Thanks for the laugh, Carl!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32709 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errorunknown to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to find people who are so friendly and make me smile.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errorunknown to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do any zinc Penny's weigh 3 grams ? The scales I bought say 3 g and I weighed some zinc ones the scale says 2 g . I weighed more copper ones it says 3 g . What would be a good coin scale to tell me the fractions ?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32709 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good scale weights down to 0.001grams. One that goes to 0.01 is ok.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16333 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you have a scale that rounds to whole grams. A zinc cent is supposed to weigh 2.5 grams. If it is SLIGHTLY less the scale will round it to 2 grams. If it is SLIGHTLY more the scale will round it to 3 grams A copper cent is supposed to weigh 3.11 grams. If they weigh anywhere close to that (2.6 to 3.4) the scale is going to round it to 3 grams. Clearly a scale that rounds to whole grams in nowhere near sensitive enough. A scale that weighs to two decimal places is good enough for most things and can be had for $10 to $15.
Gary Schmidt
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errorunknown to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05