Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

High School Girl's Purse Lost In 1957 Found In 2019 Wheat Cents Given Kids

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  12:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A student's purse that went missing in 1957 was discovered in 2019 between a set of lockers and a wall during repairs and has turned into a long-lost time capsule from the 1950s.

ABC News article:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/student-l...?id=69041942

The former student passed away in 2013 so the purse was given to her five kids.

Each of her five children kept one of the wheat pennies as a token of remembrance of their mom.

A 1957 cent (not one of the purse cents):

United States Cent 1957-D

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10287 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3275 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She had 26 cents in her purse.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read that story before and just odd that she never went looking for it back then.
just carl
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spent a summer in Dawson City, Yukon Territories in 1986. An elderly American woman visited the town on a family trip from Seattle. The last time she had been in Canada was in 1948 and so she dutifully brought all the paper money that had been left-over from that trip. People at various businesses around town started getting bills with George VI on then in payment for stuff... I say two of the bulls - a $10 and a $1 - but apparently she unloaded currency with a face value in the hundreds. Total value of the bills must have been...god knows....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3717 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story willieboyd. Thanks for sharing.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45927 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wonderful, thanks!
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3880 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who got the silver? ;)
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3118 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last summer I did a small household renovation project that involved removing some cabinets. Atop one of the cabinets, covered in dust was a shiny red brown 1974 Lincoln... the year the house was built.

It was in the laundry room, though, so maybe it just got flung up there much later as someone shook a pair pants that had some loose change in a pocket.

Leaves more to the imagination that the OP story, which is pretty neat.
Valued Member
New Zealand
271 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice story.

After the earthquake in my Hometown in 2011 - a statue erected in 1867 toppled over and in its base was found a time capsule with several coins and papers from that year.

The strange thing about, was the statue had been moved in 1918, 1933 and then paved around in 1974 and 2000 - yet no one found the capsule.

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05