Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 S Over Inverted S LWC

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  02:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Die markers match WRPM-017. This is listed as an S over inverted S but to me looks more like S over D as listed on a 1946 S on VV. What do you think?
https://www.doubleddie.com/1504414.html
http://www.varietyvista.com/02a%20L...6SOMM001.htm

Bedrock of the Community
United States
32565 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think so.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jsgoldny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a match to me. I do see the slight die clash under the beard.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses.

Here are the die marker picts.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
32565 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die markers are of no use, till you find a variety. Wait for the pros to chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1834 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin does appear to match Wexlers listing.
I wish he would include a few numerals from the date in his photos so that MM position could be used, though, the reverse markers do match.
Here is a side by side of Wexler's example and yours.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43087 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think John is thinking that the original statement about a S over D is in error. (I agree) It looks like it is a match to WRPM-017 S over inverted S. (I'd call it rotated as it looks not like a 180 degree rotation) Matches the markers for Wexler's coin. As others have mentioned, it would have been nice to see all digits to see about a location match for the mintmark.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coop! and everyone else who has responded. I am grateful for the feedback.

I am still not sold on the S/S designation though and here is why. There is a 1947-S OMM-001 for a Roosevelt dime and there is a 1946-S LWC OMM which I mentioned in the original post. These OMM's look very similar to this coin and because this was happening at the SF mint during this time I think it's more likely a S/D. It also seems very strange to have a "S over inverted S" designation so I think the simpler explanation is probably the right one. Like Coop said it doesn't even look like an "inverted S" and a rotated S would stick out of the sides more I would think. I guess an "S over inverted S" would be pretty unique so I don't really mind if it is but my gut is telling me it isn't. Here are the links and a photo collage I made using the two other OMM's. http://www.varietyvista.com/07%20Ro...7SOMM001.htm

http://www.varietyvista.com/02a%20L...6SOMM001.htm

Top left is the 1947 S Dime
Top right is the 1946 S LWC
Bottom two are my coin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43087 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great visuals as always Coop, Thanks!

Maybe if the S was flipped or mirrored and maybe that is what is meant by inverted. I still don't see it though.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05