Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 D Penny Date Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  12:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Beautypirate to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello from Michigan.... Every once and awhile I try and sort through all my saved change to look for treasures, usually after 3 days I'máoverwhelmed and put it all back! Lol I recently came across this 1971 D penny and the date struck me as odd, Ive tried finding another online but no luck, ive seen some with the last digit missing and almost missing... but not slanted and small like this one. Has anybody ever seen something similar or have an idea why this appears so off balance? I first thought maybe it was another number half cut off but upon closer look I dont believe that to be true either. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I am new to coin searching and have been researching basic info for the past year when I can, but there is without doubt alot of info to learn. Thx in advance.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32690 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Photos would help, but be slanted it sounds like coin wrapping/counting/vending machine damage.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8063 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the CCF

We need pictures to confirm but as John1 stated, it sounds like it could be
from a coin wrapping machine which often damages the last number of the date.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46179 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, need pics to help.

to the CCF!
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beautypirate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had uploaded 3 pics... didnt realize I had to paste the codes! Thanks

Edited by Beautypirate
02/21/2020 4:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32690 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pics.As I said, damage.
John1
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8063 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good pictures.
Just damage. Something has hit the 1 and moved it over.
You can see on the field where it was originally.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2070 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43258 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the question is how did it happen? Well you have to consider the date and living through that era helps me to know what happened. First note, that the affected area is parallel to the rim. So something Mechanical altered the device. But Remembering as a kid getting gumballs from a machine:

There is the answer. These machine altered the coins put through them. So when we see the last digit afftected, remember the days of our youth and how we may have been the one who put it in the machine that damaged your coin?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beautypirate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, that makes so much sense! I cant believe I havent ran across the same while searching through different error topics and whatnot. I do see the parallel to rim factor, thats alot of help. I appreciate your time and knowledge. It def is a world of many opinions and uncertainty... so crazy how somebody can be asking thousands for a coin yet all the info I can possibly find about it says its worth $2! Lol
Between coins, old glass bottles and rockhounding.... I'mánever in a world without wonder!
Edited by Beautypirate
02/25/2020 08:03 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32690 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's actually worth 1ó face value, and about 2ó copper value.
John1
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05