Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Give It A Start And Find Who To Engage

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,523Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  10:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. Fairly new to the aspect of reviewing the many years of collecting coins for their possible sale. However, before that, how do I find the right person(s) in our group that I can present a coin for review with collectible mint errors, collectible age, etc? Thank you. I look forward to your reply.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34285 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Post good photos in the proper sections of our forum. You are not allowed to buy/sell/trade here yet,please read the rules.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, thank you......but, I didn't ask to buy or trade anything. I only asked if there is any suggestions for whom I can ask to review ANY coin for possible errors on coins I have collected over the years? I only just recently realized that many of them have possible flaws, and I'm not sure who to turn to for a better opinion. Do you have a suggestion of whom I can ask either on or off our forum? Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3353 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:34 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really easy .....start with a respected coin shop in your area .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34285 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thrifty_nickel,
Just post questions and photos in the proper sections and we "all" will respond.
John1
Learn More...
United States
87777 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Do not worry, if you are in the wrong place we can move it for you.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the greeting. I truly appreciate it. Question: I noticed that many people post close-up shots of their coins requesting feedback from the community. Do I need to purchase a certain type of camera for that level of detail?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34285 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A USB digital microscope. 0-150x.
John1
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent! Thank you for the feedback!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do I need to purchase a certain type of camera for that level of detail?

Before you buy anything, have you tried taking photographs with what you have at hand first? Current cell phones can take some pretty good pics with practice.

Also, there's a whole Coin Photography, Image Editing, and Related Software forum that has great information on taking photos that you might want to review as well.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I'll take a pick of one that I think is a miss-die hit on a Jefferson nickel, and post it here if you don't mind having a look?
Learn More...
United States
16398 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tn, first welcome to CCF. Second, rather than posting here, better would be to move over to the US Modern Coin Variety and Error sub-forum and start a new thread over there with pics of your coin. You should find folks here friendly and helpful.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okay, I can do that....i was just following the lead to see if someone would think the cellphone or digital camera image would work, or go straight to a microscope camera. See, the question wasn't about the specific nickel, but instead about the methodology used to gain the images to share. Thanks again....
Learn More...
United States
16398 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah ok now I understand. You should consider spending some time perusing the threads in our coin photography sub-forum. You could post pics there to get feedback from a group of very passionate shutter bugs.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3497 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can take some pretty good pictures with a cell phone. For example, here's a couple of quick shots I took recently with my phone:

Just play around with the lighting and you can get fairly decent results.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I've got a Note-9 and trying to take it with different settings and effects, and just can't seem to find the right combination of things yet (including keeping still)......i'll keep working with it. I also have an Olympus Digital Camera that I can try with. Thanks again.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,523Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05