Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Identification Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  09:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mmox125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I've spent a fair few hours trying to identify this coin for my dad searching by the symbols or pictures. Any ideas or suggestions?

I thought the candelabera looking symbol would have been easy to track down but I've had no luck at all.

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks
Martyn

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2371 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:36 am  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it may have originally looked like this:

Yours may have been made of brass, but many other metals have been used, including silver.

Some notes:

Modern fake "false shekel" fantasy coin loosely imitating Judaean coinage types of the first century AD. 9.0g, 33mm; struck AR

obv: (in Hebrew) SHEKEL OF ISRAEL censer with incense rising

rev: (in Hebrew) JERUSALEM THE HOLY rod of Aaron budding with almonds and leaves

Note that inscription is in modern Hebrew script.

So-called "false shekels" were produced (mostly) in Europe from the 15th to the 20th centuries. Some were produced as pilgrim mementos but many were made to deceive. The majority follow the design pattern seen here, though with variants, and they exist in a variety of metals.

cf: Kisch, Bruno: Historia Judaica, v3, no 2, pp67-101"

Also

"By 1840, many of the large medal and coin companies located in London England cast or struck these censer pieces and offered them to the public as religious pilgrims tokens or as true reproductions of the genuine shekel coin or of the biblical 'thirty pieces of silver'. Some of these tokens were fine examples of medallic art and the authors even included their names in the designs. A remarkable example, struck after 1880 carries the name SPENCER . LONDON under the chalice on the obverse. In correspondence with Mr. James B. Duncan of Auckland New Zealand, who owns an example of this token, it was suggested that Spencer, may have been associated with the London firm, Toye, Kenning and Spencer, Masonic jewelers and providers of Masonic ritual implements. It had been reported by Dr. Bruno Kisch that American Masonic lodges sometimes used false shekel tokens in their proceedings, but none of these are actually of the censer piece design. The London token may therefore have been a medallion used by an English Masonic chapter in their sacred rites."

False Shekels - American Israel Numismatic Association
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2371 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:38 am  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking more closely at it, yours may actually be the coin from which the copies were made, i.e. an original Shekel.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13633 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking more closely at it, yours may actually be the coin from which the copies were made, i.e. an original Shekel.

The originals looked like this:

Among other differences, note the modern Hebrew script on the tokens. It is quite different from the script on ancient Jewish coins..
Edited by Kushanshah
02/23/2020 03:45 am
Learn More...
United States
84180 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05