Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

# 69 Of My Silver Dollars For Grading 1887 P Morgan

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  11:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looks like I actually bought a decent coin ..... LOL .... But it's all good. Like the rest, I graded it when I bought it. I'm losing track of when I bought some of these but it must have been between 2 and 3 years ago. I still like my grade but ......

What do you think?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45959 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say 63 sounds about right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2553 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am at AU 58. I do like the coin. Look at the cheek and neck area as there is circulation rub. There is no luster showing through in the area. Often the TPG's will grade a coin like this at AU58 and sometimes up to MS62.
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smalldawg59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slider unc. No way this is MS63. $25 coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
605 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit dull the luster. May have had a light bath? A true ms63 should scream with brightness on the luster. Reverse looks sharper than obverse. AU58 but no greater than MS60.
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do struggle with getting my pictures to show all the luster and/or cartwheeling on some of these dollars. I took another picture that I'll add here, but I have a question about your answer Slider ..... how can all the high points that ANA grading standards and PCGS say wear before first before other parts be unworn, and yet you say there is wear on her neck that is right next to the lady's lower locks that are high points and should wear first. But that's why I'm here, trying to learn from folks that know more than I do ...... so can you explain that?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the high points have a gray color indicating rub/wear. This one is so close to MS but unfortunately an AU-58 slidder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2553 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
yet you say there is wear on her neck that is right next to the lady's lower locks that are high points and should wear first.

The cheek on a Morgan is one of the main areas used for grading and I added the neck comment as a continuation of what I was seeing on the cheek. Open areas on a coin or the highest points show the circulation rub much easier than intricate details. On you first photo the highest points in the hair behind the neck are also showing the grey (color break) rub area.

On your second photo the circulation rub on the check and neck are hidden, but the cap clearly shows wear/circulation rub. On your second photo it makes it much more difficult to tell the coin is likely a AU58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1833 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also at AU-58.
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm listening to you guys, I really am, I'm not disagreeing, but I guess I have a lot to learn. I am looking at this PCGS slabbed and graded 1880 MS-63 I have. I see the same what looks to be rubbings on the high point of her cap. The same dull spot on her cheek. I really am trying (under a 10X loop by the way) to see the differences you see in my 1887 and this PCGS 1880. Well, I guess that's why I'm posting these here to learn, but it sure seems like somebody's gonna have to sock me in the head or something cause I just don't see the difference. Here's some pictures of the 1880 I have.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1644 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's time to test your skills

Edited by keith12
02/22/2020 5:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well Kieth, the reverse on my 85 looks better than the one you pictured,and it's a 63, but your obverse seems to have a few fewer marks both in the field and on the devices. The pictures aren't to great but I'm going with a 63 or 64.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45959 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice shots. I'll stand with my 63. Keep up with these angle pics on coins you feel are uncirculated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1644 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well Kieth, the reverse on my 85 looks better than the one you pictured,and it's a 63, but your obverse seems to have a few fewer marks both in the field and on the devices. The pictures aren't to great but I'm going with a 63 or 64.

Goes to show you, Grading is all about opinion

Pillar of the Community
United States
2553 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the 85 O MS63 the cheek shows luster that is typical on a MS Morgan and that overrides the marks on the cap. The TPG considered it contact that happened at the mint. Coin grading is subjective and graders do disagree.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2553 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, I guess that's why I'm posting these here to learn, but it sure seems like somebody's gonna have to sock me in the head or something cause I just don't see the difference. Here's some pictures of the 1880 I have.

About 6 years ago I had submitted a number of better date Morgans to NGC that I bought from a dealer as MS. I thought the coins were clearly MS but almost all came back as AU58. The dealer knew what he was selling. The reason the coins were AU58's: circulation cheek rub. I lost money on the purchase. It took me a while to learn the difference between a quality AU58 Morgan vs MS.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05