Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1998 Penny Stamped Twice

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  7:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pennyboy1998 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am trying to obtain some information regarding a 1998 Penny I found. it appears to be stamped twice I have attached a few pictures any information along with value would be greatly apricated to assist with which direct to go next and if I should get it graded or not.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2768 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
at least everything lines up correctly, you may have something here.. let's wait for the us coin experts to weigh in..
Pillar of the Community
United States
660 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By no means an expert, it appears as though this cent "jumped" and rotated within the collar of the press in between a second strike. Multiple strikes are employed for proof coinage to bring out the devices, which this does not appear to be. However, circulated coinage does from time to time receive more than a single strike of the dies. What ever the cause, if genuine, it would be worth sending off for third party certification.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32622 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
15355 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pb1998, first welcome to CCF. Second, normally when we see these types of things, they are obviously made by squishing multiple coins together in a vice. Yours does not look like that, so I'm thinking it might be legit. Let some others weigh in for confirmation.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennyboy1998 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
from pennyboy I can tell everyone observing this coin of mine that it was found searching thru a batch of pennies that I've been collecting for over 40 years. nerver really looked at them until couple weeks ago.so I've had this penny since 1998[the year I retired from the Navy].could not believe what I saw because I'm not a coin collector.Well am now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you might have something there. nice find!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16332 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% genuine error....nice find, congrats!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16332 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@pb1998, first welcome to CCF. Second, normally when we see these types of things, they are obviously made by squishing multiple coins together in a vice. Yours does not look like that, so I'm thinking it might be legit. Let some others weigh in for confirmation.

The impression is reversed for such coins. This is a genuine error IMO. The most obvious evidence is the residual date is very clear on the shoulder and is faded in the field, exactly what you'd expect for this type of error.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3579 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one looks genuine. Incredible find!

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg
A few notable finds:
1869 Three Cent RPD FS-302:
http://goccf.com/t/368084
1857 FEC DDO S-4 FS-101:
http://goccf.com/t/368150
1888-O $1 Hot Lips VAM-4:
http://goccf.com/t/363580

Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennyboy1998 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one other thing about this penny I just remembered I was orginally looking for a 1998 wide AM.So this coin collecting rookie would like recommdations on how I should proceed.Should I send this coin in to be graded ? is it worth more that way? do ya'll think the condition is nice for a 1998? Approx what could this cion be worth? I think its a one of a kind. tell me what you think after good exam.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32622 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe Mike would like to comment on it and include a value for it? Who want to bother,I mean PM him
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13430 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Nice find!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16319 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine, double struck in collar with at least 90 degree rotation between strikes.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
83972 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05