Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Small Worn Out Coin With Countermark. Trying To ID The Countermark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  12:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am guessing the coin is too far gone to get an ID off of, but I believe that there is someone out there that can help identifying the countermark. I have seen a couple very similar countermarks online, but they aren't identified.

The coin measures right at 12mm. I don't have a scale to weigh it. It appears to possibly be low grade silver. The countermark rectangle measures 3x5mm.

If anyone can give me any assistance with the countermark, or the coin for that matter, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your time just looking at this post.

Doug

Pillar of the Community
United States
4798 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So hard to see what that c/m is supposed to be. My first guess would be a kerykeion/caduceus (maybe winged?), or maybe a serpent-entwined staff.

Edited by Bob L
02/23/2020 09:50 am
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try to get better images soon Bob, I am recovering from surgery and still haven't been cleared for lifting anything heavier than a fork (very, very rough neck surgery). As soon as I can pick up the camera, I will not be reliant on this little microscope thing.

Thanks,
Doug
Pillar of the Community
United States
4798 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Best wishes for a speedy recuperation, Doug.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So hard to see what that c/m is supposed to be. My first guess would be a kerykeion/caduceus (maybe winged?), or maybe a serpent-entwined staff.

I think you are absolutely dead on. Looking at the coin under the "traditional" loupe, I am convinced it is a winged caduceus countermark. I have found a couple of other examples that are very, very similar that are identified as the same. I might even be on the right track for the coin's ID (very general ID) but that will take some more detective work on my side.

Thank you once again Bob L.
Doug
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the best wishes. I appreciate it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05