Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spooned Or Dryer 2 Cent Piece?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  3:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, first post, anyways I bought some coins on ebay this was one of them, it seems to be too small and very thick possibly spooned or a dryer coin? see pictures below the obverse and reverse are in very good condition (possibly have environmental damage), wondering if there is any added value because it seems to be an older / rarer dryer/spooned coin. Approx the diameter of a us nickel and about 1.5x as thick.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
32755 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Dryer or spooned equals the same, PMD. I see no added value.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2865 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the weight normal?
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is the weight normal?

ill get back to you on this when I get to work as I do not have a scale here
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46304 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From a Civil-war era dryer.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16672 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Coinfrog:-

Clothes mangles (wringers), were the only type of mechanical device they had to remove excess water from freshly washed clothes during the Civil War era.

My guess is that this coin went through a revolving drum type clothes dryer, much more recently.
Learn More...
United States
15499 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JC, first welcome to CCF. Second I agree with you that it was damaged in some way, perhaps by spooning. Since it is damaged, it would not have a value premium for the grade.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is the weight normal?

yes after weighing it it does seem normal
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2775 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
more than likely it was spooned..
Learn More...
United States
84320 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05