Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan Set: Definition

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  6:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've decided to build a "slabbed" Morgan dollar set. I have yet to decide the "definition" (number / type). Perhaps there is only one true definition ... your thoughts ?

I realize that my financial limitations will not allow for a "high-grade" set however, I will endeavor to put the highest grades possible in my set.

Thank you, in advance. - Tiny
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16650 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always go the hardest dates / mm's that you can afford first. You will need he most time to look for them, anyway.
The more common ones will always be there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7451 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck finding an affordable proof 1895.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32680 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will endeavor to put the highest grades possible in my set.

I think it would be better to determine what the overall highest grade you can afford. It seems better to have for example, all VF-20 instead of a bunch of different grades.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2562 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend that you look at NGC or PCGS Registry as it is a good place to organize your set. Do not get caught up in the registry game to compete for higher grades and standings. NGC allows both NGC and PCGS slabs and PCGS only allows PCGS slabs. The first place to start is to put together a budget and target grades. If you are new to collecting, start with the common dates as your mistakes will be less costly.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A set can still be complete without the 1895, since it was proof only.

Trying to assemble a solid grade set is tricky. A couple dates are rarely found circulated (1885-CC, 1898-O, 1903-O come to mind) and others are prohibitive (or at least very expensive) condition rarities above certain mid-grades (1879-CC, 1884-S, 1892-S, 1895-S, 1903-S, and 1904-S for example).

In addition to grade, strike quality is important. There are many technical UNCs that are poorly struck, and many well struck sliders have better eye appeal.

There are many different ways to approach the collection. Some pick one mint and work start to finish on that mint's coins, before moving on the the next mint. Others tackle one year at a time, building mini-sets of all mints.

I'd urge you to do a couple things before diving in.
Buy the book(s) before buying the coins. Learn the strike characteristics of each year and get a feel for what actually exists in the market. Remember, mintage figures mean very little with some dates, because of the Pittman Act and the great silver rush of the 1950s-1960s (and the Redfield Hoard).
Learn to grade the coins on your own. Just because a TPG has an opinion doesn't mean that their opinion is correct. Even TPGs whiff every now and then, and grading standards have changed over time.
Learn the things that detract from eye appeal. Even if the technical grade is correct, if the coin doesn't appeal to you, don't buy it.
Avoid the "gotta have it" syndrome. There are literally millions of Morgans out there. There will always be another. Be patient.
If you have doubts about whether to buy a particular coin, walk away. You won't regret walking away, and having to look at a coin that you have grown to hate takes the fun out of the hobby.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS uses "97" coins as a complete set
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx fortcollins ... after a quick inventory, I have 50 different graded/slabbed (mix of top3 TPG) and 30 non-graded (lesser condition) Morgans of the 97 ... commons in 63-65 and the semi/key dates in lester condition. I definitely want the set slabbed so I have some decisions to make.

Thx for sharing your experience! - Tiny
Learn More...
United States
15415 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tr, as you see, I've moved your thread out of the US classic coin grading subforum in order to get more eyeballs on it. I recognize that at least part of your question has to do with grading, but the overall question of what makes a Morgan set "complete" seems better suited for here. If you strongly object, then I'm happy to move your thread back to where you originally placed it.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19171 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate slabbed coins. They take up to much room. I collect coins not plastic.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16329 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no one way to build a set, You chose what you want your set to be.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05