Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Coins Going South As Fast As The Canadian Peso

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3225 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  08:04 am Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Over the last few days the Canadian Dollar has started its inevitable slide in
relation to the US Dollar . The reasons are many , a deteriorating Canadian economy and the inability to get any projects built , along with the Covid19
scare are a few.
Canadians just cannot compete with Americans when it comes to buying
our own numismatic treasures !
For sellers like myself this is great as we get to ship south and get paid in USD. For buyers in Canada , not much fun !
Edited by Pacificoin
02/28/2020 08:37 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1480 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been picking up Large Cents and the prices are really good. My LCS has a small batch that he has had for decades, few people in the US buy canadian cents.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3225 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  08:19 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Few people buy Canadian coins in the USA ?
That my friend is where most of the best stuff ends up !
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But Jack, someday I will want to sell. I will need the exchange rate to swing back the other way.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3225 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rob , Hopefully you and I will see that one day , but we should not hold our breath!
You should consider this a wonderful buying opportunity !
I sure am ! I love my American "cousins " right now .
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all sincerity, it has been a great buying opportunity. I starting collecting one cent specimens about a decade ago. Over past year, not only did Cornerstone and Cook come to market, but the exchange rate stayed above $1.30. In a perfect world, in about ten years the exchange rate swings back the other way, I sell and do well, and these national treasures return to Canada where they really belong.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bosox ... please please don't wish the exchange rate to get back the way it was 10 or so years ago. My military pension is in US$$ and I live up here. It's the only way that I can afford the Canadian taxes and prices. I love the 1.33 exchange right now, and wish it was back to $1.50 like it was when I retired and moved up here.
Valued Member
Taiwan
306 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Everest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was travelling to Canada (Ont.) to attend Torex/Cna auctions during the 90's and early 2000's not
only was the exchange rate in my favor but I was exempt from paying GST & PST. Needless to say it was
a huge advantage.
Edited by Everest
02/28/2020 6:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2020  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On my rather average wages, I was able to put together a fairly impressive set of coins that contained some real rarities/top 10 coins over the years.
A person of average income should not be able to do that, our coins are vastly under priced when you look at it that way.

A $10,000 price tag for one of the best coins known is chump change for many American collectors, especially when they are getting an exchange rate discount.
Even something like a 1921 50c is reasonably priced compared to what an American coin of that rarity would demand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1480 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Few people buy Canadian coins in the USA ?
That my friend is where most of the best stuff ends up !

Not saying that residents of USA aren't buying Canadian coins but they don't buy as many as US coins. My LCS has Canadian coins that are decades in a flip and no one purchased it.
Valued Member
Taiwan
306 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2020  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Everest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People will naturally collect coins of their homeland but Pacificoin clearly stated that he was speaking
of Canadian treasures (the best stuff).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2279 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good quality, rare date coins will always sell.

But let's not get carried away.

There's no Canadian coin 'gold rush' going on in the States (or any where else, for that matter).

Also, the Canadian dollar has slipped from 1.31 to 1.33 in relation to the US dollar.

I wouldn't call that a 'slide' just yet.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3225 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1.3453 right now and as a buyer you will pay nearly 1.37/
No way CANADIANS can compete with an American buyer .
Especially when they pay NO TAX or duties. On numismatic coins .
Canadians pay anywhere from 5 to 15 per cent more in GST HST
Provincial Taxes . Plus exorbitant shipping costs from Canada Post .
No wonder 80 per cent of our sales are south !
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Pacificoin's comments. It was great that the 1911 dollar stayed in Canada, but just closely watching Cornerstone and being at the Cook sale, I saw maybe $400K-$500K of the very finest Canadian coins move south. I also sat in the auction room and watched lots of the Landon stuff be bought by American buyers. I feel certain there is quite a bit more expensive stuff leaving the north that I do not know about.
Edited by bosox
03/04/2020 12:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2279 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bosox......true, I agree with your comments.

But I reason that it is more because the Canadian big time buyers are completely gone, rather than a surge of US big time buyers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it depends on what you consider big-time. I saw four or five Canadian collectors at the Cook sale drop quite a bit of money. Same with Landon. The Canadian dealers even more at both sales.

I agree that, other than Lantern, I know of nobody who is trying to put together a complete, high-grade Canadian decimal set, like Canadiana or Belzberg. I do know of several Canadians (and Americans) putting together very high-grade collections of individual series or small groups of series. They are out there, but usually pretty quiet about it.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05