Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Shows In The Time Of Coronavirus

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 57 / Views: 2,793Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
4759 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  2:55 pm Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anybody else reconsidering attending coin shows in the near future due to fears of the COVID-19 coronavirus?

I was planning on attending the yearly Bay State Coin Show here in Massachusetts with my son next month (it's the one show we attend every year), but with the number of reported infected people in Massachusetts growing on a daily basis, I'm really starting to wonder if its worth the risk. I'm not particularly worried about me or my son catching it and dying, mind you, but my in-laws live with us and they are both in their mid to late 80s.

I hate to miss the one show my son and I have been saving up all year to attend, but maybe the safest thing would be just buy a few nice coins on eBay this year, just in case.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Edited by barryg
03/09/2020 4:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1959 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
~34,000 people died from the flu in the 2018-19 season, ~61,000 the year before. Were you concerned about attending coin shows then?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13450 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was at a local show over the weekend . I met a dealer that I know very well , I went to shake his hand as I always do and he gave me his fist instead . He said sorry but you can't be too careful with that darn virus these days . So yes I see a lack of participation at most all shows until It's completely gone .
But Nick just brought up a good question !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Edited by T-BOP
03/09/2020 3:20 pm
Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Were you concerned about attending coin shows then?
No, because I was vaccinated for flu. I have not been vaccinated for COVID-19.

Gentle warning to all

Tread lightly. For some reason this is being politicized by <insert whatever group you want to blame here and keep it to yourself>.

We do not allow political discussion on CCF.

That being said...

Wash your hands, keep calm, and carry on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4759 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No, because I was vaccinated for flu. I have not been vaccinated for COVID-19.

Exactly. And, as I said, my primary worry is my elderly in-laws who live with us. They routinely get flu vaccines and so I tend not to worry as much.

Plus, unlike the flu, it appears as though people can be asymptomatic with COVID-19 for many days and still be contagious, so there's a greater risk (in my opinion) of there actually being infected people at any large gathering of people simply because infected people may not know they are infected.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Edited by barryg
03/09/2020 4:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1711 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Were you concerned about attending coin shows then?

We were vaccinated against the flu then, and I still barely left the house for about 6 months (my husband's choice, which was easier to follow than fight).

These days, most of my coworkers are working from home, and we're going outside only to walk the dogs for necessary grocery shopping (even then, as carefully as possible). Coin shows? Out of the question.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Exactly. And, as I said, my primary worry is my elderly in-laws who live with us. They routinely get flu vaccines and so I tend not to worry as much.

Plus, unlike the flu, it appears as though people can be asymptomatic with COVID-19 for many days and still be contagious, so there's a greater risk (in my opinion) of there actually being infected people at any large gathering of people simply because infected people may not know they are infected.
Your concerns are most definitely valid.

Looking at all the event being cancelled, it is always possible that your show gets canceled as well. That would certainly make your decision a lot easier.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1959 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wash your hands, keep calm, and carry on.

And try not to touch your face!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3391 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think your thought process is right on the money

The greater risk is probably to the elderly people living with you if neither you nor your son are in an at-risk group, so it's truly considerate to think of giving up something you had looked forward to.
In lieu of foregoing the show, you could also consider attending, but then going through a decontamination routine on your return home, to minimize any possible risk of infecting others. Clothes removed and into the laundry, and into the shower for you and your son. Disinfect any surfaces you've touched between entry into the house and the shower.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4667 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have not been vaccinated for COVID-19.

No one has since it hasn't been developed yet.

I've got the Baltimore Whitman Show on March 20.
I'm going.

Of course the worry is that dealers and buyers are coming in from all over the US.
If it were just a local show I wouldn't have much concern.
But I'll be there with my hand sanitizer.

There's a coin that I want.
The dealer has it listed on eBay; I'm hoping he'll bring it to the show.
It's priced too high on eBay; if it's at the show I'll see what he's asking for it.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17004 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically, listen to and obey Government directives for your City.
That makes best common sense to me.

U.S. generally seems to be better at managing public health policy concerning the Covid-19 issue than Italy has been doing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19317 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2020  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right now I will not be going to any coin shows anywhere. I normally go to 2 to 4 coin shows a Month. Now it's none at all for a while.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No one has since it hasn't been developed yet.
That was my point.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16546 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2020  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Won't affect me at all. Have a show this weekend and one next weekend as well.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
6961 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've got the Baltimore Whitman Show on March 20.
I'm going.

I'll be there. I don't stop working just because of a virus, and sales aren't gonna make themselves.

Note to any member who'll be there on the 20th, please come to the Bonanza Coins booth and say hi! I'd love to meet you all! We're like, the first booth you see when you walk in so you can't miss us!
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17004 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Americans tend to use public transport less than most other developed counties - except for New York and other such large Cities.
Use your own car - less chance of copping COVID-19, it's just that I find parking such a huge bind.
At the coin show, just stay more than 1 yard away from each other - if that is at all possible.

I am an old guy - reasonably healthy - now a widow, live alone. So the prospect of getting a fancy 'flu and karking it doesn't bother me too much.
So to shows I will go, using public transport.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 57 / Views: 2,793Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05