Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Question About Uncirculated Vs Circulated

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 970Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
196 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bill069 "The line between AU-58 and MS-60 is so thin that any two individuals may grade a single coin differently.
Until we use A.I. for grading the subjectiveness will come into play."

100% agree; AI might help but is that really where we need to go? I personally dislike the term 'uncirculated'. The only coins I believe it for are collector sets that come encased in plastic and don't ever hit a cash register. For routine collectors I would argue that it's outdated and that the term 'mint state', which does not assume that a coin has never been used in a transaction - it's just about what kind of shape the thing is in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bill069 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver101, It's only a matter of time until someone develope an A.I. to grade coins. The companis that do it now will profit by limited personnel needed to grade. Profit will be the driving force to this end.
Valued Member
Canada
196 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be but then there will be other companies that offer artisanal, bespoke coin grading by actual humans - and they will charge a premium for the service!
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've read a number of people stating that bag marks look different then wear and therefore aren't considered wear ........... OK, I'll buy that, they do, but a near pristine AU-58 Morgan vs this MS-60, graded ........ Oh yes, officially graded by PCGS because it is after all Un-circulated and and MS coin. I think there's something wrong with this grading system then.

Valued Member
Canada
196 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KauaiHawaiiGuy

YES! I would rather buy a decent AU-55 over an MS-60 almost any day. It's a meaningless numerical up-tick. The whole Sheldon numbering system needs to be revised.....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7948 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not circulated vs. uncirculated
It's
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
United States
8089 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Morgan you posted graded MS-60 because of the abundance of bag marks all over the coin. However, you look at the hair (one of the first places to show wear on Morgans), you will see that all the detail is still there, thus the coin is uncirculated. Yes, many AU-58 coins look much better than coins graded MS-60. In fact, when I was learning how to grade, I heard AU-58 being described as an MS-63 or MS-64 with a little bit of wear.
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 970Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05