Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 Georgia-P State Quarter - Crooked 'T' In Liberty Error Or Damage?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  05:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cheetopendejo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
i apologize for the poor pictures, but I have a usb microscope in the mail (hopefully). I haven't attempted to clean the quarter and there's some stains on it but just showing you what I got exactly how I got it.

Learn More...
United States
15437 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CP, first welcome to CCF. Second, when I crop, enlarge, and enhance this area, it looks like several letters of LIBERTY (including the T) are damaged.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16654 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post Mint impact damage
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46167 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cheetopendejo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
first, thank you for taking a look at my coin as well as for the warm welcome. I was worried I would accidentally post in the wrong forum or mislabel my post so please let me know if I did something wrong or if there's a format I should stick to when posting.

I'm a total rookie so I assumed this coin would be the result of damage but I'm just starting to catch the coin bug so I got a little excited when I finally saw something a little out of the ordinary but I figured there was a good chance it was just damage based simply on the odds of actually finding an error coin so easily. I do hope to bug y'all some more in the future as I keep eyeballing all the change that I get.
Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cheetopendejo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you. I knew I was finally starting to nerd out on coins because I was super excited to find a 'P' mint quarter. I live on the west coast and it's the first non-'D' coin I've found since I began paying attention so unfortunately for the rest of you, you'll never ever see this busted-ass dirty coin anywhere again because it's going to live in a little plastic bag in my room forever.
Learn More...
United States
15437 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it's going to live in a little plastic bag in my room forever.

The opportunity cost of ownership is low, so by all means keep it!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13557 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
@ cheeto*pendejo*(= pubic hair.)
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cheetopendejo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
*pendejo*(= pubic hair.)

i'll have to look into it but I've heard that before, just couldn't verify it cause I couldn't find consensus from spanish speaking people. my name is a reference to 'Idiocracy' so I wouldn't doubt that it likely translates to a dumb/funny term.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43256 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wondered if you have a clash on the obverse and could find the overlay. Made a new one and later found the old one, dumped it and kept this one:

Doesn't look like a match on the area of the nose to the jaw.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
03/23/2020 7:33 pm
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cheetopendejo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wondered if you have a clash on the obverse and could find the overlay. Made a new one and later found the old one, dumped it and kept this one

i'll try and get a better picture but I'm inclined to believe those who say it was damage because it appears over several letters. I ordered one of those cheap usb microscopes and I plan to go over everything with that but I'm thinking about trying out a few of the phones I have at my disposal in the meantime and if I can get a better photo of both sides i'll share it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43256 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An incuse mark on a coin is 99% of the time, damage to the coin. Only 1% of the time it is a mint error. While there are a lot of different errors, damage is mostly the cause that altered coins.
Here is a site that covers these mint errors:
http://www.error-ref.com/
It will probably take a month of reading just to scratch the surface of what is there. But well worth the read.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cheetopendejo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a site that covers these mint errors:
http://www.error-ref.com/

thanks, great site. that will definitely come in handy.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cheetopendejo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
An incuse mark on a coin is 99% of the time, damage to the coin.

by "incuse mark" you're referring to something on the flat part of the coin? this is a totally new term to me and from what I seem to understand. incuse refers to the parts that are carved into the coin as opposed to a relief which is raised?

i tried googling it but every use of 'incuse mark' I found seemed to use the word to define itself.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43256 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
03/25/2020 10:29 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05