Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

TPG Holders With Pedigrees

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 726Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
105 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  2:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grumpy56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just for discussion.....I am a collector of BOTH the holder and the coin. I cannot stand, and won't purchase, any holder that identifies it as formerly being part of so and so's collection. When I purchase it, it is MY collection and I don't want any other identification/name on it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6951 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's nice and all. but provenance is important. Stuff like the Eliasburg and DL Hansen Collections do carry a premium for the pedigree.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I respect your decision and agree to a point, you'll kick yourself later if you re-grade it without the provenance as this sometimes brings a tremendous premium.
Unless of course you're talking about some average lesser known collector. At this point, go for it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I can understand your position to some degree, it appears you are preventing yourself from acquiring some choice coins. Some, not all, coins in pedigreed holders are better than average in terms of either their strike, condition, luster, overall appearance, etc. - they were often purchased by advanced collectors who had an eye for quality.

Given the opportunity, I will always go for a coin of better quality vs. lower regardless of what might appear on the TPG holder. Just my opinion...

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can always get it reholdered, but you'd lose the provenance perhaps....and then there goes the history.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7242 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too respect you decision to collect how you want, I like and seek out certain provenanced holdered coins. Eliasberg, Garrett, Norweb Col. Green, Binon all can and do regularly bring a premium as well as a certain reverence to a particular coin. In the world of Early American Copper coins, having the name Clapp-Sheldon or Holmes- Husak on the holder not only will make the coin more valuable it also lets the world know it was once a part of a world class collection, some unmatched by anyone else on the planet.

But on generic named or signature holdered slabs I can agree, I don't really care about a 1952 Quarter from Joe Blow's Collection even if the label says so. Now if Joe Blow was a top expert in Washington quarters and it came from a finest known collection, then I'd be more inclined to keep it with the name on the holder label. I also don't buy into nor care about 1st strike coins or 1st day of issue from modern mint products.

Now of course there are a few coins that are so famous it doesn't matter if their provenance is on the label or not, everyone knows from the coin alone, like the 1913 nickels, 1804 dollars and a few other nearly unique coins (all very high dollar and newsworthy when they sell).

I purchased one coin some time ago in an NGC holder with a name on it I didn't know, and couldn't find online, so I called a friend at NGC and asked them why this name was on the holder. Turned out it was a family that honored their late grandfather when they had some of his coins graded for sale at auction. I was also told pretty much anyone could have the same done on their submissions, for a fee of course and nothing vulgar or misleading, NGC has final say since it's their reputation on the line.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
2622 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy the pedigrees on the coin as I like to know the history on where the coin may have been. It would be cool to have a pedigree collection. This one is part of my collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Slider23 I just read Colonel E.H.R Green's wikipedia page....and now I know the pedigree...Good read...had his amputated leg exhumed and later buried with his body...not many can say that.
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grumpy56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great comments!
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add benv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally love pedigrees on my coins (full disclosure, I currently only own one pedigreed coin), it gives me even more personal history for that coin.
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grumpy56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just remembered (embarrassed to admit this after my earlier ramblings), but I have an 1853 PCGS MS64 Large Cent from the "Twin Leaf Collection". Twin Leaf Collection"? Getting me riled up again...lol. Ploys by people to increase selling prices, but I have to admit, they work or they wouldn't be used.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7242 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  05:07 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slider23 if you really want a in depth history on Colonel Green. I suggest getting the book "The day they shook the plum tree" by Arthur H. Lewis it's a very, very well written book on a very interesting person that really was larger than life. It's long out of print and copies of paperbacks are often popping up on eBay and Amazon for cheap. Can't recommend that book enough as a biography.

I just searched and was surprised by how much the paperbacks are selling for, keep an eye out or make a search on eBay that emails you - I got a copy for just a few dollars last year.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Pillar of the Community
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To each their own, that's why there's chocolate & vanilla ice cream. I don't personally own a coin with such provenance, but I'd love to have one from one of the famous hoards or ship wrecks.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grumpy56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just FYI....noticed some coins with a "Larry Shapiro" pedigree....I wonder how much someone paid PCGS for that!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7242 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
noticed some coins with a "Larry Shapiro" pedigree.

That was probably Larry or the company that was selling off his coins. I'm guessing Morgan dollars? Larry had one of the top finest known Morgan dollar collections of all time, not "the best" but so close, tons of MS67+ and 68 coins.

It would be a small amount to have an ID tag added to a label. It would certify the coin came from one of the "TOP Collections" it would probably pay for itself easily. Last time I checked ( NGC) it wasn't a lot ot add a custom label on your coin, I think $20.00, though that was a couple of years ago. I personally wouldn't do it unless I having a big name put on that would help with future sale potential.

For those not familiar with Larry Shapiro check out his website, he is a current dealer in high end coins, specializing in Walking liberty & Franklin halves, Morgan and Peace dollars.

https://www.lsrarecoins.com/

His inventory is enough to make even jaded coin collectors drool.

Edited by westcoin
03/30/2020 11:45 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 726Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05