Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 D Assistance In Determining If This Is DDO / DDR

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  5:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sign of Omega to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this a DDO / DDR or something else?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
32690 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like DDD
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43255 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DDD (no that doesn't stand for Drunk-Drivers-Driving) What you have is Die Deterioration Doubling. As the die ages on the single squeeze dies, the low profile show a raised area on the field next to the devices. This can be seen on one/two areas or even show on all areas on both sides of the coin. Here is what I mean by affecting two areas:

On the obverse when this die wear is noticed, the doubling will be on the fields on the date area to the right. On Liberty it on the left side.and on the motto on the tops of the motto. On the reverse it is also on the outside edge of the devices. Sometimes on all devices. Tops of USA and Bottoms of ONE CENT. While it looks interesting, it is just as common as wrinkles on a Senior. All dies develop these when they get old. (sound familiar) Just caused by a die that is showing its age. On a doubled die, the devices are enlarged starting with the first coin. So doubled dies are a lot more rare. (Proof doubled dies are limited to 3K coins as the dies are only used to perform 6K strikes per die. Proof coins are struck twice for cents. Sometimes more on larger coins to enhance the strike.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46167 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sign of Omega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, thank you. I wasn't sure, but it is good to know what it is and what causes it.
I've seen this same effect on nickels but discounted it as Machine Doubling.

Thank you for your assistance!!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43255 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find using images along with the description helps all to visualize it better with an explanation. Much better than yes or no answers. While yes or no answers the question, the explanation helps the learner to see it rather than just get an answer.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05