Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found A Really Beat Up 1947 D Penny Weights Only 2.7 Grams

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 468Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  03:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lincoln8989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Sorry about the image, photo shop gave up on it
Pillar of the Community
United States
2403 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  03:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure there is a question here. This is a very well worn cent that has suffered extreme environmental conditions and will never be worth anything, although it will pass itself off as a penny upon close examination. It's low weight is within range of "normal" considering the wear and tear it has seen in it's life. Spend it (if you can). Might be better suited to end it's life in a fancy fountain somewhere as a wish.
ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lincoln8989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL thanks for making me laugh
Appreciate your Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47863 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, corrosion has eaten away at the weight of this coin.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know if there are any studies on the corrosion on coins. I have observed so many different alloy mixes and how they corrode. However my observations are only ancedotal.. I do know that corrosion will not alter the weight of a coin unless it is removed. For the coins weight to be normal we have to assume one half of a gram in weight removed by cleaning? I too will occasionally clean similar wheats enough to see the date. I weigh before and after and have not seen more than a few one hundreths of a gram weight loss. My conclusion is this coin was under weight when it was minted.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44346 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if anything is put into acid, it will not be the winner. The acid always wins. So we already know how that research would come out.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will test that hypothesis that acid will reduce the gram weight of a coin by 15% (coin going from 3.11 to 2.65) testing a pre-82 copper based coin with a pre test weight of 3.11. I think it will be more like 1%
Specifically I am talking about a solution which take surface corrosion off of the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2403 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My conclusion is this coin was under weight when it was minted.

I don't think this conclusion is correct. How do you know if all surfaces of this coin are still intact(without "cleaning")? We have no clue how long this cent was subject to harsh conditions. Copper doesn't easily corrode, however soils containing large quantities of organic matter (particularly soils containing organic acids) can be very corrosive to copper cents. As coop suggests, acid always wins, therefore your concluding this coin began underweight when minted is false. You do not have enough facts to reach your conclusion.
ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct in that we do not have enough data for this specific coin. My point is that corrosion does not change the weight. It can add to the weight. It is removing the oxidation that changes the weight. I am saying that it will typically only change the weight by 1 to 2% by cleaning. Also let me state clearly that removing any amount of a coins metal by cleaning lowers its value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2403 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  03:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a copper cent has been buried in soil that has been fertilized (not uncommon), nitric acid is produced. Nitric acid serves as an oxidizing agent to copper. Over the span of over 70 years, it is impossible to tell the amount of actual wear vs acidic oxidization the coin may have received, but an overall final weight of 2.7 grams does not seem unreasonable for a coin in this poor condition. A pre-82 U.S. copper cent weight tolerance range can be +/- .31 grams (1%), so a .1 loss due to oxidation isn't crazy.

To quote coop (again),
Quote:
"The acid always wins."

ša va bien aller
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 468Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05