Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Id'ing A Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 861Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  5:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
size of a penny rampant lion eroded with shield on back found on a military base 3 feet under ground

Learn More...
United States
16334 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@shar, first welcome to CCF. Second, as this may not actually be a coin (but rather a medal or token), I'm going to move this over the thread when we really don't know what it is. A couple quick questions for you. Was the military base in the US, or if not, then in which country? Also, your pics are a little blurry. Can you help us with reading the inscription? The second pic seems to show MCLOY and __US, but I'm not sure. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you and yes US ft devens the base had a lot of german prisoners and Italian during world War 2. soldiers were posted in Poland its very eroded so that is the best picture I can get
Learn More...
United States
16334 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes that is good information to have. In a quick look around the identifymedals.com website, I don't see an obvious match, but perhaps over the next day or two someone else here has better luck in helping you.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you the first person on Ft Devens from 1656 was the founder of the Militia of Massachusetts Bay Colony named Simon Williard. I am wondering instead of a standing lion it is an Indian trading pre colonial coin medal etc
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2402 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning towards it having a French origin. In the centre is a treflée or botonée cross of Lorraine to the right of which looks to be a fleur de lys. (treflée/botonée means that it has rounded ends, like a button)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3478 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also noticed that shape ...
Certainly not a coin of Lorraine (which stopped minting in the 1730s), and in later representations it normally showed up as a simple double barred cross I think (i.e. without the decoration of the tips).

The cross of Lorraine was used widely as a symbol of free France in WWII, which might fit with the site where it was located.
Hungary and Lithuania also use(d) the double barred cross.

The item has a look of something plated to me? But the OP is in a better position to say.
Edited by tdziemia
03/27/2020 5:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15650 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 861Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05