Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning Coin With Tomato

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 990Next Topic
Page: of 2

United Kingdom
30 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  1:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kortez to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Experimented cleaning coin with tomato. Inserted coin in tomato and every 15-30 min took it out and brush it with toothbrush.
Not the best way to do it but with some coins it can work. Actually, I rather prefer amonia + soap water and boil it for few min.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3305 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With tomatoes currently @ $4.00 per pound in Canada , I can think of a heck of a lot better things to do
with a tomato , like a yummy salad with French Dressing .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2016 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Most members here are against anything other than an acetone bath and distilled water rinse. It's really easy to clean the value right out of a rare coin.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13437 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Never ever clean coins . Tomatoes are acidic , that's a no no . No brushing with toothbrush or ammonia soap & water and definitely no boiling any coins .
It drastically reduces the value of any coin . Only ancients can get away with a cleaning by someone who knows what they are doing .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United Kingdom
30 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kortez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't clean coins with patina, expensive coins in agrresive way. Cheap coin is from metal detecting. What should I do? Keep it in olive oil for a year? :) as long as you know how to do it then fine :)
United Kingdom
30 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kortez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yokozuna, thank you for information. Will try aceton bath.
I metal detect a lot and some often needs cleaning :)
United Kingdom
30 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kortez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacificoin,

When you eat salad, you can even squize juice a bit from tomato in a cup and put coin there. But like it been said, tomatos are acidic and need to be careful.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3384 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my eye, you improved that coin quite bit (as long as the scratches were already there). It sounds like you have experimented enough to know what you are doing.

Tomato juice is a fairly weak acid. It is about 100 times weaker than lemon juice or most vinegars. Probably this fact, plus the need for the acid (juice) to diffuse through the tomato pulp, makes it a more slow, gentle form of "cleaning with an acid" than other approaches.

I see this coin is made of Ni-Brass alloy. I would guess the results on other compositions could be very different.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To my eye, you improved that coin quite bit

And someone had to do something to save that coin
United Kingdom
30 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kortez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziema

Yes, I dug it in the woods (Lithuania) and scratches were already there. In some places soil can be very acid. Not to mention how bad it is in UK. But I am talking only about those coins that are found in the ground and in poor condition. Not to make illusion for people that I buy and ruin coins with toothbrushes or sanding paper :D No, no, I don't do that. Only experiment with coins that have no value and need attention.

You are absolutely right. Diffusing tomato juice would really make things so much better. For me it ideally work to remove green oksids from silver coins and it doesn't make metal shine or damage patina. All detectorists came across with this problem.

Regarding metal composition, with copper coins you need to be careful. It can leave gingerish color on the coin and it not always can work ideally.
Valued Member
Canada
196 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whether you're cleaning with a tomato or toning with a boiled egg - it's a chemical treatment of a coin. Once it's done, it's not un-doable. I take the point that this coin was in decidedly weird shape. So there may be exceptions towards the bottom of the heap. But they are exceptions....
United Kingdom
30 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kortez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver101,

All people are with different taste ;)
Better than tooling, smoothing coins and selling to people without letting them know :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3384 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, you started with a coin that is really not presentable to a numismatist, and your result was still some uneven patination, but a coin that is now collectable.

It is only different in degree from the result obtained when an ancient is professionally "conserved." Although I agree with many earlier comments that one must be very careful with any approach like this.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19316 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chemically every Tomato is different. Therefore this is rather dumb since one Tomato may do little and the next one could melt the coin. Not really but could do a real number on it. And don't forget nowadays there are numerous different Tomatoes. So should we be using Red ones? Yellow ones? Striped ones? etc., etc., etc,? Round ones, pear shaped ones, large or small ones?
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3490 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can only recommend cleaning coins with homegrown tomatoes.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13437 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ones that I recommend are the Organic Italian Plum Tomatoes . Guaranteed to strip the Zinc right off a U.S. steel cent .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 990Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05