Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

#118- 1896 P Morgan For Grading And Opinions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 393Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Loooks to be a fair trouble free coin to me but I'm posting these for your opinions, so .................

What do you think?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48137 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8722 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58.

most of the coins you have posted have the same look to them. have you ever sent one in for grading? if it was me I would consider sending one in that best represents the group just to see if it grades straight or not. id go with PCGS or ANACS was running a special for 10-$1 or LWC for $100. not sure if they are still running it. this would give you good idea about the rest of your collection
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
most of the coins you have posted have the same look to them. have you ever sent one in for grading? this would give you good idea about the rest of your collection

I don't think I'd gain anything from doing this other than having a few graded Dollars. As I've said before, I've enjoyed buying these on Ebay, and as a matter of fact that's where 98% came from, but of the 260 or so I have today, probably 225 to 235 all came from different sellers and you've seen that my my coins have been from a low of G-8 to MS-64. If these all came from the same collection or same seller, there might be some value in doing this, but I don't think so as I've explained why. When everything is said and done and all have been evaluated by the forum, I may then send in some that I feel would gain by having a slab and grade.

And right now ANACS is doing a 10 for $10 on Buffalo nickles.
Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
03/30/2020 2:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2623 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think I'd gain anything from doing this other than having a few graded Dollars.

It would help you be a better grader as you would grade each coin before submitting. The end result would be to make you a better buyer of future coins. I know that you have an understanding of grading as most of your grades appear to be in the ballpark.

Over the years I have sent in over a hundred coins in for grading. The first thing I leaned was that my coin dealer was selling me raw better date AU58 Morgans and charging me MS prices. The dealer said, "I have different standards than the TPG's." All the common date Morgans that I purchased from the dealer were very close to the TPG grade.
My standard was not to buy from that dealer again.
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would help you be a better grader as you would grade each coin before submitting. The end result would be to make you a better buyer of future coins.

But I have graded each coin before submitting. I just recently stopped adding the picture of the coin in my holders that have the grade I gave them on the holder. I thought I might be influencing some of the folks one way or the other by broadcasting my grade ahead of time. That's no different then the folks that post PCGS slabbed coins without showing the grade and asking for opinions.

And I am a better buyer. As I've mentioned a few times before, I bought all these dollars over about a 4 year period, and I haven't stopped buying. As a matter of fact I bought 3 just in the past week or so. But even the coins I'm submitting now, and I'm not even through half my collection are a far cry better than my first buys that I've submitted here earlier.

Learn More...
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drmenard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anacs just sent me a email saying they are shut down until this stuff is over. I guess they sent the email because I got some coins back from them a few days ago.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20230 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 at best for me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 393Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05