Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 P 5c Unusual Color - Help With Question About XRF Analysis

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 261Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  09:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this War Nickel which does not have the look of a 39% silver/56% copper/9% manganese nickel. The weight is within the standard variance of + or - .13 grams with a weight of 4.87 grams. All of the other War Nickels bought from this estate were toned black. I have several questions: Does anyone have experience with XRF analysis? There is one site I found: dirtyoldcoins.com/services who offer xrf analysis. Does anyone have any experience with them? Also do any of the TPG's offer XRF analysis as part of there services. Also initially I thought the brass color was some kind of paint. I gave the coins an overnight in acetone. Nothing changed after soaking in acetone.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47773 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Circulated War Nickels come in all kinds of unusual shades because of their peculiar alloy characteristics. Or perhaps this one was plated at one point and the plating is now wearing off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
765 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've come across a wide range of war nickels--many dull grey, some borderline black, some lustrous pewter, and some toned--from slight rainbow to light gold/amber. Environmental conditions may have been in play with this coin. Can't rule out old plating which is wearing off.

I have no experience with XRF analysis. Would be interesting to pursue; however, the cost may be somewhat prohibitive. All depends on the value that comes with better knowing what's going on with the coin.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a lot of experience with the War Nickels because I don't like coins that are generally all toned black. They look dirty to me. Eye appeal matters and cleaning off toned coins is not an acceptable practise. Therefore my experience is very limited.

Plating is a possibility. Although looking at the coin under my scope did not lend any clue to plating.

XRF came up in a search. The analysis uses a flourescent xray technology to determine an alloys element composition. It is a non-destructive test. With the US Mint having 40 countries that they minted coins for over the years, off metal planchet errors are well documented. Perhaps I will get more insight posting my question on the ancient coin forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
640 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few war nicks that color, the special alloy toned in unfamiliar ways.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 261Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05