Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Token Identification Plus Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 441Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
4981 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  8:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone identify this token (If in fact it is a token) and type of error?

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Edited by USSID18
03/31/2020 8:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
15993 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems to be struck twice, but I can make out SILVER STRIPE. Looks to be a match for TC-152110; Alpert/Smith-Amusement 760 SJG. Here is a link to the tokencatalog reference:

http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...rd_offset=41
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
4981 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seems to be struck twice, but I can make out SILVER STRIPE. Looks to be a match for TC-152110; Alpert/Smith-Amusement 760 SJG. Here is a link to the tokencatalog reference:

http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...rd_offset=41

Oh man, you are a lifesaver!! I've been going nuts trying to find "ANY" info of this thing. I pulled it out of a junk bin at a thrift shop.

I don't see this side of the token.

Learn More...
United States
15993 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I dunno about that. This piece seems overstruck on something else that had a big letter V in the center and maybe 981 on the other side.

I bet that @circus can straighten this out for us...
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
4981 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah I dunno about that. This piece seems overstruck on something else that had a big letter V in the center and maybe 981 on the other side.

I bet that @circus can straighten this out for us...

That would be great!

cc: @Circus

Let me ask you a question. Would you tend to agree with this statement?

That is a nice example of a die test token. Excess production from a previous order was struck again with new dies to check the spelling and details before the new order was run. There would be less than ten tests made. Not all would be on the same donor token so mintage would be less than ten. I have occasionally found two identical die tests. Some of these the previous token was flattened first and then they are very difficult to read.

Edited by USSID18
03/31/2020 10:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The short answer to your question Is yes it has a 99% chance of being one. You have ones that are used for adjusting the the spacing on the dies along with getting the pressure correct pressure for a nice clean clear token. Why throw out a barley used blank, But I have to say that one its hard to say how they could check any thing with that one, My glasses might be dirty.
Pillar of the Community
4981 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence, @Circus-

Thank you both very much. One last question: Would a TPG'er attribute it?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a fan of slabbing and grading, since from my observations and understanding the only one that makes out on the deal is the company doing the grading.Rarely does a person make out and re-coop the cost. Other than on CWT/HT tokens of some rarity. But that is just my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
4981 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not a fan of slabbing and grading, since from my observations and understanding the only one that makes out on the deal is the company doing the grading.Rarely does a person make out and re-coop the cost. Other than on CWT/HT tokens of some rarity. But that is just my opinion.

I'm not in it for the money. I just thought it would be nice to see it in a slab authenticating exactly what it is.

I'm just wondering if they would do it and not have it come back in a body bag.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think from what I have heard about some of the companies they will grade and authentication any thing somebody wants as long as the check clears. since in addition to coin,stamps sport card they do magazines records ect.
Pillar of the Community
4981 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, thanks Circus!

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 441Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05