Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 D Buffalo... You Vs. NGC

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 774Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1325 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just saw this thread.

It's a very nice 1914-D. That's a date generally with notoriously mismatched dies and poor strikes. In contrast, this coin has great eye appeal.

Since we know NGC's opinion, let's try to decode their thinking and work through how PCGS might see the coin.

The dies are fairly well matched, EMDS obverse and MDS reverse.
The overall strike is above average for 1914-D, sharper on the obverse than the reverse. The 1913-14-15 Buffs had the weak LIBERTY as an element of the design. On the obverse of this coin, the earlier die state and better than average strike make LIBERTY fairly sharp. The eye, nose, chin, lips, feather tie, date, and second feather are sharp. The rachis and calamus on the second feather are very strong. On the reverse, the tail is complete and split, the horn is sharp, the peripheral lettering is relatively strong, the ground is sharp, but the central design features of the buffalo are average.
Die clashing evidence exists, but isn't prominent, and the dies have not been overpolished.

I adjusted your photos to eliminate the toning. I did this, because I wanted to see the surfaces without being distracted by eye appeal adjustments.

The coin is obviously uncirculated, The issue is the pinpoint grade.

On the obverse, there are numerous multidirectional bag marks in the hair above the braid. There are several SW-NE abrasions on the high point of the cheek. There is a small rim ding at 5:00. NGC clearly saw the obverse as MS-63. I see it as MS-64.

On the reverse, there are a series of bag marks in a N-S line. They begin with a vertical nick in the ground level above "C" in CENTS, and continue with a series of SW-NE nicks running N-S through the front shoulder, and fading as the central design lowers in the hair on the hump. There is a small scratch N-S on the buffalo's flank. IMHO, NGC saw the reverse as MS-64, as do I.

To reach the MS-63*, NGC appears to have blended its grades and then enhanced the net grade with a slight eye appeal adjustment, possibly for toning.

I think PCGS might see this coin differently, but not radically so. The obverse is on the MS-63/MS-64 bubble. PCGS could go either way here. The reverse is at least a solid MS-64. Where I think PCGS might differ is in the eye appeal adjustment. I think PCGS would rate the strike quality as tipping the balance to the higher grade, and the toning as positive. IMHO, PCGS would grade the coin as at least MS-64 and possibly add the plus designation, for a net MS-64+.

As I said, I'm at MS-64 on the obverse and MS-64 on the reverse. Raw, on a bourse floor, I'd call it MS-64, but expect a price haggle about 1/3 the way between MS-64 and MS-65 to adjust for eye appeal. That's also pretty close to where I think a PCGS MS-64+ would land.

NGC MS-63*? It's definitely on the low end of where this one should land, but not so far off that a resubmission is a lock for a higher grade.

JMHO.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Thanks a million FC for the wealth of knowledge and insight! Your details are greatly appreciated. Will probably hold off for awhile on this one. It's staying in the collection!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4914 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally prefer PCGS, I would send it to them and have them give their opinion on it. Definitely worth sending out....not sure WHEN you'll GET it back with what's going on now, but hey, worth a shot.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1325 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS appears to be on hold during the COVID pandemic.

ANACS has also suspended operations during the pandemic.

At last report, NGC was still open. Ditto for IGC.

JMHO, but I'm holding off all submissions until all the TPGs reopen and clear their backlogs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9304 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be concerned PCGS would bag it for color if cracked and not upgrade if crossed. I like with the 63* since it's already in a top tier holder.

It's a very attractive coin regardless of what's (or whose) on the holder.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, I'm definitely holding off until the Covid dust settles. Will most likely keep it as is. It's staying with my buffalo set anyways.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 774Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05