Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ICCS Vs NGC Grading Results

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 2,167Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3012 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the problem with the flying loon?
Valued Member
Canada
157 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2020  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loruca to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not MS I think, more likely PL or Specimen (don't know which set it was issued in)?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7988 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2020  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's not a grading error that's a typo.
All TPGs make those kind of errors, no exceptions.

Why on earth would you want to spend more than double this coin's value to have it graded.
SP66 is a kinda an average grade for this coin.
T.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
113 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upc239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's not a grading error that's a typo.
All TPGs make those kind of errors, no exceptions.

I don't disagree, just seems to happen a lot...

Pillar of the Community
Canada
903 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like a business strike to me...I can see a few bag marks.

Are you disagreeing with the grade?
Valued Member
Canada
113 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upc239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are you disagreeing with the grade?

I'm disagreeing with the strike. Another typo?

Johnny, are you able to pull out the ICCS Population report to see how many 2001 loonie were graded as MS? I'm also curious to see how many 2003 Old Effigy loonies were graded as MS. There should be no MS coins minted from 1997 to 2001. And there should be no MS Old Effigy 2003 loonies.

Pretty please of course :)
Edited by upc239
04/19/2020 12:34 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1452 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2020  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Believe it or not it took 40 days for CPC to deliver my coins from Florida. So here are the coins mentioned in this post. I can post the holders if you ask.

1901 5 Cents NGC AU-58-----------ICCS AU-50
1871 10 Cents NGC XF Details-----ICCS EF-40
1915 10 Cents NGC AU Details-----ICCS VF-30
1940 50 Cents NGC MS-62----------ICCS MS-64 Cameo
1927 25 cents NGC AU Details-----ICCS AU-50

I'll upload the 27 shortly
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1452 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Johnny, are you able to pull out the ICCS Population report to see how many 2001 loonie were graded as MS? I'm also curious to see how many 2003 Old Effigy loonies were graded as MS. There should be no MS coins minted from 1997 to 2001. And there should be no MS Old Effigy 2003 loonies.

From the 2015 ICCS pop report

Business Strike Section
2001 Loonie Total in MS 43
2003 Loonie Old Effigy Total in MS 36.

Prooflike / NBU Section
2001 Loonie Total in MS-NBU 59
2003 Loonie (effigy not defined) Total in MS-NBU 14
2003 W Loonie (effigy not defined) Total in MS-NBU 36

There are no "PL" grades for either.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
518 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get a lot of coins from the US and the current postal delays due to Covid-19 are annoying and frustrating. Looking over the coins above I'm shocked to think ICCS would grade the 1915 dime below EF. That's a nice coin and on no day under any sun that's ever crept over an Earthly hillside would ever grade a VF.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
903 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

ICCS definitely mis-graded the 1915 dime, it's at least EF-40.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3354 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am amazed , no one picked up the Double punching in the date of the 1915 .
Agree that coin is EF all day long .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1452 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I couldn't resists. Sent a few back to ICCS.

The 1915 10c now ICCS EF40. That's a grade up from the original ICCS grade
The 1871 10c now ICCS VF20. That's two grades down from the original ICCS grade
The 1940 50c now ICCS MS64. Back to the original ICCS grade.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the lesson here is that the Sheldon Scale has always been absolute voo-doo, is completely subjective and its absurd for such enormous value swings to occur as a result of something so abstract that it can't even be quantified, nor consistently applied.

What Sheldon got right: The 9 Grade ranges from G to 3 Mint-States. You can arrive at a reasonable consensus of what distinguishes a VG from a F using perfectly rational technical standards. You can even get consensus about a low mint state, a middle mint state and a near flawless mint state.

What Sheldon got wrong: An arbitrary scale of 1-70 where there is absolutely no rational difference between a 5 and a 6 or 64 and a 65, other than the land of make-believe, yet enormous value changes can occur between those grades and the private TPG industry we've entrusted to handle it all cannot achieve any repeatability in its own grades- a hallmark of psuedo-science.

Whole system is a joke. Zero credibility.
Edited by RCM
07/07/2020 9:25 pm
Valued Member
Canada
483 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 1871 is a key reason why I don't trust any US TPG to grade circulated Canadian material, no way that coin is an EF. A text book VF.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 2,167Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05