Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1898 Large Cent High H

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 500Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2386 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  6:33 pm Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
below: coinsandcanada pictures referencing the 1898 high H,

I was digging though a bag of large cents and found an example of the high H variety. coinsandcanada lists it, but with no pricing.

is this a common variety? is there a pricing premium over the regular H?

"regular H"

HIGH "H"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2940 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the 1898's the mintmark for Heaton was handpunched into each Reverse working die. You will find high, low, left, right, and any combination of them No mintmark is worth any more than any other.
Valued Member
Canada
425 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  02:40 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe I may have started the "High H" for this coin. I asked about this same thing back around 2005, on a now defunct coin forum. I bought several thousand Victoria cents in 2000-2010, and found several 1898's had a higher H than most, so I listed it on ebay as a High H variety. Not too much later, Okiecoiner and the other *devilish researchers checked things out and found it to be more common than earlier thought, and out it went. I just rechecked my 2 keepers and I didn't even bother to keep one.

*(devilish because they keep finding more things to search for - the heck never ends )
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2940 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you talking about the "CanadaCopperCoin" site, Terry? I was the moderator on there, but the owner of the site let it be hacked by spammers and then the contract on the site lapsed. I tried to talk him into keeping it up, but he defaulted. I thought that lots of good stuff got passed on there.
Valued Member
Canada
425 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Okie. So much came up on that site that had never been catalogued, and it's a real shame all that info disappeared.

I posted the first 1872H double-punched N in CANADA, then Zonad pointed out the deformed V. I also posted about a 1967 quarter with die rotation (descending lynx). So many unlisted varieties and die cracks went by that it made your head spin to learn of them all.
There were also the early stages of the 1859 classifications, and the start of the varieties of large cents being listed by Charlton. Perhaps you will remember when I posted a photo of an 1881H cent with the beads die clash, and I think it was you offered to buy it for $20 - before this variety came out in the 2011 Charlton. I suspect the photo in Charlton is of that coin ?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2940 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would never have offered to buy any coin, so you must have me confused with someone else. Once the 1st one showed up on the site, I found that I already had 2 of them ... just never looked there, since I was so busy looking for digit repunches. Actually most of the heavy-duty variety discoveries and research was on the old CCRS site that we all were on. Now THAT'S where lots of information was lost when we all pulled out posts and had Brian delete them so he and his site couldn't use them any more. It was me and 4 others from the CCRS site that put together the 2011 Charlton variety section. It was Rob Turner and I that got the DP3 thru 5, 9/6, and 2 other varieties listed in the front of the Charlton and included in Trends. 10 years ago was the primo time for Vicky bronze varieties.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add viper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yes okiecoiner I remember those days very well. The good old days!

MG
Valued Member
Canada
425 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian Coin Reference Site was the one I was referring to. I liked it because it was less show, more tell. I don't think anyone EVER posted anything about a registry set.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 500Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05