Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 Penny Die Crack?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 216Next Topic  
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  8:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Thams to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, just trying to learn my way around the coin hobby. I was going through various years looking for wide and narrow AMs and came across this guy. I'm guessing it's a die crack? It looks like it skirts the E and goes all the way through Lincoln forehead (ouch!). Am I on the right track? I know it doesn't increase the value of the coin at all. Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44275 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Several dies from the 2006 cents had die cracks on the forehead area. (So common it couldn't be used as a marker)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
15958 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice one @thams. When they intersect with Abe's head, we give 'em the nickname "spikeheads". If you use the CCF search box in the upper left hand corner of your screen with SPIKEHEAD as the keyword, you will see a ton of different ones to compare with yours.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, so are you saying that since it was common in 2006 then it's very likely this is a die crack even though it's from a different year?
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence! I'll do that so I can check it out.
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goldnugget to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for Sharing. Nice Die Crack goldnugget
Pillar of the Community
United States
765 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic die crack. Someone at the mint yelled 'release the krak(en)!'
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44275 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically there may have been an issue the the production of the dies or weakness of the metal on that year. But the design is the same as other years. But something caused this event to happen on that years cents.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 216Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05