Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reg : Coin Collection And Conservation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 451Next Topic  

India
1 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  06:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Virendra to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings to all community members,
I am Virendra,a mechanical engineer by profession and historian by passion from India.Firstly I am very glad to be part of this reverred community,which has been source of providing valuable Information regarding Numismatics.

I have been collecting some coins for a year or more.As a Beginner in Coin Collecting and have query that is - Can we segregate coins based on their metal type like (Nickel- Copper, Silver, Nickel-Steel, Nickel-Brass) for as of now and store it in separate propylene containers, while I await for my coin storage album which yet to be shipped.I asked this question on a suspicion of galvanic corrosion.

Any information,guidelines is appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Virendra
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3440 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

That could not do any harm. Polypropylene is safe.

It might be even safer to store each coin in its own bag, if you can.

I have not heard of Galvanic corrosion to be a big problem (there are other bigger problems), but others may have more to add.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
15261 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! The enemy of collections is that in nature everything goes from a higher state to a lower state over time. If you allow your coins to be handled that process will be accelerated by the acid in the oils on your fingers (always wear cotton gloves). Monitor your humidity. Too much humidity can speed up the oxidation process.
Learn More...
United States
16103 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Virendra, first welcome to CCF. Second, as long as the coins are being stored dry, you should not have to worry about galvanic corrosion from the touching of coins of different metal alloys. I'd rather worry about dings and gouges from the coins mechanically rubbing against each other.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17004 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Virendra: to the CCF

Coins of different metals and alloys stored in bulk will not suffer from galvanic action if all of them, and their contained environment, is completely dry.
The inclusion of silica gel in that contained environment would be helpful.

Screw top jars and snap lock polyethlene bags are good for bulk coin storage.
Learn More...
United States
86522 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7248 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have followed the rule if it's safe for food, it's more than likely safe to store coins in. Not so much holders and albums, but the storage bins, like tupperware or baggies, very important in the aid of keeping out humidity and moisture.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19317 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As a Mechanical Engineer you should be aware of the method of how a Thermocouple works. The basic principle is at the location of where two dissimilar metals touch, an electrical charge is created. Yes it is very small but pending on the type of metals, this charge can be destructive to one or both metals. Very slowly but it does happen. This charge is utilized in many industries with gauges to monitor such things as changes in temperatures since a change in temperatures effects the rate of electrical current.
To sum it up, the chances of two metals in coins having an effect on their longevity due to touching is trivial but it does exist. For example a Copper coin and an Aluminum coin touching each other could start to show effects in a few hundred years.
just carl
India
1 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Virendra to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your valuable insights.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 451Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05