Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Syria 5 Piastre 1941

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 307Next Topic  
Valued Member
Turkey
116 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  1:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add apeka to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This 5 Piastre coin that I am seeing in some websites does not exist in Krause Catalogue or NGC. Do you know anything about this?

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces142244.html
https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=l...1944&lot=284

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Learn More...
United States
15993 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@apeka, that is an interesting question--whom do you believe: the "tried and true" classic books or the seemingly more up-to-date online resources? My personal opinion is that the website numista in particular is pretty much up to date with the current thinking; however, being somewhat crowd-sourced it could have errors that have crept into it.

Added: Also, I'm fine leaving this thread here in the main coin forum, but let us know if you'd rather it be moved to the world coin section of CCF.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3429 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is very important to realize that, good as Krause is as a general reference, it has many errors and omissions. I understand that NGC uses data from Krause so the same errors will appear there too.

Numista like anything else undoubtedly has errors too. Unlike Krause, there is a more robust process for error correction in numista.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like an issue that is much rarer than the other wartime issues. Maybe was unknown at the time of the last Krause update?

I can only find the two (different) examples, both sold by iNumis in the last 5 years.

Better save up if you're interested!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16515 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the piece you have matches the piece in the links you posted the reason is probably because that coin is a pattern and I would not trust the standard catalogs for COINS to necessarily have all the patterns in it.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Turkey
116 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add apeka to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for sharing your opinions.

- Sorry for opening the topic in the wrong forum. I have bookmarked that in my web browser.
- I have seen in Krause some coins that they are not more than a legend. 1826 Peru 2 Reals for example.
https://www.NGCcoin.com/price-guide...duid-1510008
But this coin does not exist at all under Syria section even as a pattern.
Besides as @tdziemia told both examples you can find on internet is sold by iNumis.
@Conder101 may be right. Maybe they dont care much about patterns. They have another catalogue as well called unusual world coins mostly have fantasy issues and patterns and very rare pieces. I checked that book as well but for syria only mentions golden medallic coins of syrian arab republic
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 307Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05