Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

If Money Were No Object... A Numismatic Dream

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 920Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  7:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add river4449 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Going out on a limb, havent seen any other threads about this recently...

What would your series to collect/upgrade?

I would upgrade my Canada silver 5 cent collection to Mint-state, then probably get into American Seated Liberty half-dimes/maybe dimes. I'm not much of an American collector but I love the design of the seated liberty series, especially the early years and half-dimes / dimes are my favorite.

Just beautiful! (not my coin or photo)

What about you?
regards, Jasper- "river4449"

PMs are open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Edited by river4449
04/05/2020 11:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16973 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would travel the World and attend major coin auctions, mainly looking for prime ancient coins.

A comprehensive type set of U.S. coins in all metals, including both PAN Pac $50's would be nice!
Valued Member
Canada
376 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seated Liberty dollars, one set containing the finest grade pieces I can find, then I would do a second one consisting of VF-35+ to AU-58 or so with completely original skin (idea slightly taken from fellow member MikeF whom I hope is doing well).

As far a Canadian stuff, probably Vicky halves, and provincial, newf, Nova, and NB. Probably get some pattern stuff as well.

As well as some post WWII Syrian coinage, and some South Sudan modern coinage.

Wow, I should let others chime in before I end up writing a complete Christmas list here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1837 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If just for coins. I would like the full Indian Head and Flying Eagle in MS 65. Including the 1877 and 1856. And I would like to complete the Dansco 7070 with GOLD in MS.

And finally I want a 1964 Peace dollar.
Valued Member
Canada
376 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. And finally I want a 1964 Peace dollar

Unfortunately, I don't money is the issue on that one.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add river4449 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As cool as a 64 Peace dollar would be... we can all dream.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3303 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1794 US Silver Dollar in Mint State , would look good alongside
My 1795 Flowing Hair . Yup dream on PAC !
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ex-wives.... :)
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add river4449 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numis-Northerner, that's what its all about! If you could have anything and everything...

Syrian coinage? What's the significance there?

Valued Member
Canada
376 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.Syrian coinage? What's the significance there?

A lot of things interest me with them, the post WWII coins I find tend to be harder to find, whether or not that has to do with the current situation over there now or not I do not know. It's also a country that we often hear about in the news, and in general it's a country that gets talked about alot, unfortunately not always for the best reasons.

Not to mention I am uncertain if the majority of these coins still reside in Syria, and if they do I don't know what will become/have became of them, if they will be melted down for the silver content, a few years ago there was talk of ISIS issuing there own coins out of silver and gold, so that could lead to coins being melted down, and on top of that, they aren't getting anymore common. So I see them as a piece of a country's history that should be preserved, especially with how uncertain things have been there.

A lot of nice 1946 ish to 1960 pieces are admittedly not that pricy, but when you find one for sale, you won't want to let insufficient funds to get in your way.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13407 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always wanted a 1964-D Jefferson nickel in VG-8 !
All kidding aside I would like a 1942/1 Mercury dime in MS-67 FSB .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47915 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd collect gem $10 Indian eagles, which is my favorite US coin. Plus they're large enough to easily enjoy all the details!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4759 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spent years assembling a U.S. Proof Type Set:

Proof Type Set

I'm very happy with the way it turned out overall, but I had to make several compromises. For one thing, there were certain types that were just prohibitively expensive to find in proof, such as the Half Cent, the Large Cent, the Flying Eagle cent and the Peace dollar. For another thing, I had to balance affordability with eye appeal, often settling for a lesser grade with better eye appeal instead of getting one that had both eye appeal and a high grade (there are numerous PF61 or PF62 examples in my collection).

So, yeah -- if money were no object, I would upgrade most of the coins in my set to higher grade examples with better eye appeal and also try add more types to round out the set. I don't see that every happening, of course, but that's OK. As I said earlier, I really am happy with how the set turned out.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1837 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may change my mind and get a Proof Type set like barryg
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3200 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If money is no object... why not own smithsonian coin museum for starters?

My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add river4449 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a fair point, I guess a personal collection could include whatever you wanted...

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 920Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05